I had a wand battle with Narcissa Malfoy. Because when a steampunk Ravenclaw is on a panel with a well-known Slytherin, things are bound to go bad. That's author Leanna Renee Hieber, by the way. We had an amazing time on the Frightening Folklore panel of the Horror and Dark Fantasy Track.
I got to feed a baby yeti a bottle of my own blood.
Okay, fine. Someone else's blood. But I covered these adorable Vamplets for Cool Mom Picks last year. It was cool to see them in person and meet their creators!
I couldn't stop staring at the lightsaber display. We've got at least six different lightsabers in our house, but we just can't resist more, especially when they're this shiny.
I liked the magenta one.
That's the Marriott, right there. It's the hotel where the cosplayers hang out, and it also houses the vendors. Now, I don't usually do well with big crowds, but I have never felt more at home among people-- probably because they're all geeks. Everyone's smiling, complimenting costumes, and radiating excitement.
That's my steampunk Ravenclaw costume. Note the amazing Hermione-esque bag made by my super-talented friend Stephanie. The hat is a tiny witch hat from the fabric store with some doodads glued on, including a glittery crow with a cog eye. I ended up turning my Ravenclaw tie into a wand holster, which was pretty handy for my duel with Narcissa. And I made sure to bring fans this year, as things get pretty hot in Atlanta in August when you're wearing twenty layers.
Other highlights of the day include:
* Seeing a dude dressed as Snape dressed as Neville's gran as a boggart. Priceless.
* Meeting Beth and the gang from BPAL and smelling fantastic smellies.
* Seeing all my Alt History peeps in their steampunk finery.
* Seeing all my authorly peeps. There's just no feeling better than hearing your name hollered across a crowded room from a bar full of StormTroopers.
* Meeting so, so many wonderful people. Kady Cross, Lia Habel, Stella Price, Jana Oliver, D.B. Jackson, Faith Hunter, Lucienne Diver, Daniel Sprinkle, Alethea Kontis, Leanna Renee Hieber, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, PJ Schneider, AL Davroe, Nancy Knight, and many more.
* Seeing Dr. Krog in the hotel lobby wearing a Freddy Krueger hat and smiling at me.
Conclusions: Dragon*Con is about as much fun as a geek can have.
Oh, and I've been added to a panel on the Writing Track:
8:30-9:30pm - Heroines Among Us - Hyatt - Embassy C
If you're here, I hope to see you! EXCELSIOR!