Thursday, August 16, 2012

let's hear it for the boys... of Sang

If you check out my Pinterest boards, you'll find occasional dudes. Not the sort of my-gosh-why-does-he-shave-there-and-where-are-his-shirt/pants dudes that appear on my book covers, but the famous actor dudes who partially inspire and inform my characters.

Why are they all famous people? Because when I start writing, I need a solid picture in my head, and it helps to have a reference. Eye color, hair color, muscledyness (What? It's a word!) might change, but I watch a lot of movies, and I need a visual cue. These are physical only-- not character driven at all. So forgive me for... what shall we call it? OBJECTIFYING A BIT.

Here's a *LOOSE* run-down of the heroes of Sang:

CRIMINY STAIN of WICKED AS THEY COME


Old-school Johnny Depp with a slight dash of


Jonathan Rhys-Meyers for cheekbones and sulkiness.

*

CASPER STERLING of WICKED AS THEY COME and WICKED AS SHE WANTS


Brad Pitt as Louis de Pointe du Lac in Interview with a Vampire, but with the dimples of

 Old-school Matthew McConnaughey, circa A Time to Kill. I was eighteen when it came out, and it made me feel a little funny when they scrubbed those floors.

*

MR. MURDOCH from THE MYSTERIOUS MADAM MORPHO

This one's a little tougher, mainly because he wasn't a one-to-one comparison. If I had to pin it down, I would say a dose of long-haired, jovial 


Ewan McGregor with a dash of


Alexander Skarsgaard. I mean, I guess. 

*

THOM MACCALLAN of THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE


Straight up Chris Hemsworth in a kilt. I HAVE NO REGRETS.

*
VALE HILDEBRAND of BLUD BOOK 3

I have my eye on this fellow:


With a dash of Henry Cavill as Melot in Tristan + Isolde.


*

CHARLIE DREGS of WICKED AS THEY COME and THE THREE LIVES OF LYDIA


And for the people on my Facebook page who keep saying he's hobbity (HOBBITY??), here's a less hobbity picture:



What, you didn't know Charlie was Benedict Cumberbatch? Silly goose!

*

Considering WICKED AS THEY COME is the only one actually available, did anyone else have another dude in mind? I'm curious.

10 comments:

Breila said...

Personally, instead of Depp, Antonio Banderas would work. I loved him in Interview.

delilah s. dawson said...

Oooh, yes. Desperado-era Antonio was FOINE.

SM Blooding said...

LOL! I like your choices! I can see them all! Oohhhh!!

Jamie said...

When I first read ab out Criminy, Johnny Depp automatically came to my mind. Love all your choices!

Tia Davis said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE these choices. Spot on I'd say, just from what I know of Criminy. Like Jamie, I had Johnny Depp plastered in my head the entire way through Wicked As They Come. Oi!

Kelly Sangree said...

Chris Hemsworth needs no alteration. I support your decision to the death. :)

Anonymous said...

I picture them all as Jonathan Winters doing different voice acting with the occasional cameo by Robin Williams. Saucy indeed.

delilah s. dawson said...

Anonymous, you jerk. THIS ISN'T AN EPISODE OF SCOOBY DOO.

Asiye Ivedi said...

oh i looooove your cast! especially criminy! definitely actually would be my perfect man, jonny with a does of RJM! criminally hot!

Lexi H said...

Criminy in my head had traces of Depp, nice choice. for Casper..hmm. Maybe a little Brad Pitt circa Legends of the Fall?