Thursday, August 16, 2012

a desperate, half-dressed woman needs you

Er, maybe the title was a little misleading.

I need costuming help.

I have the bare bones for a steampunk costume and can't figure out what to do with it. I've got two weeks until Dragon*Con, so online shopping and thrifting are going to be very limited, as are my pathetic sewing skills. Right now, I'm considering making some sort of bustle out of a stuffed octopus. I have a pirate tricorn, oodles of vests and jackets and boots, ruffle bustles, all that sort of thing. But I've having trouble coming up with an overall theme. The other costumes are Steampunk Ravenclaw and Steampunk Little Red Riding Hood, if that gives you any hints.

So what do I do with this?



Colors are gold and brown, in case your monitor is off. I'm up for mash-ups, personas, whatever, so long as the components are things I can make easily or buy cheaply and quickly.

HALP!

*

7 comments:

Lisa Mantchev said...

Willing to go Disney? You have the perfect hair for Belle. You'd need gold elbow gloves, and you can pin red roses at intervals in the skirt. Fur stole if you are not opposed. Hand mirror and book optional carry abouts.

delilah s. dawson said...

This could work. I have some gold fabric that could do the around-the-shoulders thing. And a coggy brooch. And a brass rose? Hmm. Hmm. Investigating further. =)

Thank you!

EttyOop said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Belle idea! :-D

Virginia Valerie said...

Damn, woman! You are skinny! And you look fabulous, Darling.

Lexi H said...

I was thinking the same thing as Lisa! You could so do a Steampunk Belle!

Carrie said...

I thought you have a military style jacket.....have you thought about a zeppelin airship pilot theme? I know, doesn't go with the pieces in the picture, but I think you can pull it off with the other pieces you have.

I see corset w/jacket open, wide belt holding it open (safety pin box pleats in back and press to help the jacket be smaller and stay open)
leather gloves (long if you can find them) tucked into the belt, metal purse attached to the belt.
Full skirt bustled in back, length, 6" off the floor, with black Victorian style boots.
Must have pocket watch and chain.

Validation said...

Steampunk Belle sounds beyond awesome!