Wednesday, May 30, 2012

military jacket, STEAMPUNK'D

I shouldn't be allowed near needles, machines, and piping hot irons, but I'm cheap as hell and not willing to pay $69 for the jacket I really want. That's one reason I love steampunk so much-- modding existing items is considered a point of pride.

That's why my first limbo project was taking this jacket:


(worn with steampunk YA author Scott Westerfeld!)

and turning it into this little steampunk bolero:




I didn't take step-by-step pics because I fully expected it to fail.

In any case, the jacket was too large, so I cut off most of the bottom, leaving a cute little wren tail in back. Then I sewed down the hem and put in two darts in back. I cut off most of the sleeves and angled them so they would be more fitted, although they're honestly not as fitted as I'd hoped. Lastly, I cut off the hook and eye and sewed it back on at the bottom of the lapel so that it can be held together if desired.

And that corset? It isn't new. I was irritated to miss a gold and brown tiger-striped corset that went on sale at Damsel in this Dress, and then I realized that my Little Red Riding Hood corset has a lovely gold and tan stripe on the reverse. So I just turned it inside out.

All that, and I escaped with a single broken needle and an iron burn. For me, that's a miracle.

Steampunk'd: Where halfassery is welcome and scars are badges of honor!

*

6 comments:

Virginia Valerie said...

Wow! Great work! You have mad skillz!

delilah s. dawson said...

FLATTERER.

Pinafores and Pinwheels said...

Nicely done!

delilah s. dawson said...

Steph, I know you're totally laughing at me. You could make that jacket yourself from scraps. =D

Pinafores and Pinwheels said...

Of course not! It's awesome!

Lexi H said...

I thought the top pic was cute, then saw what you did to it and love it! Well done =)