Monday, December 26, 2011

a year's worth of nookie

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” ~Stephen King


Read this year on the Nook: (42)

MAKING WAVES by Tawna Fenske
SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi
HEART OF STEEL by Meljean Brook
THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morganstern
LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR by Stephanie Perkins
SUPERNATURALLY by Kiersten White
HOW TO BE BAD by E. Lockhart et al
FOREVER by Maggie Stiefvater
THE DARK ENQUIRY by Deanna Raybourn
HEARTLESS by Gail Carriger
HOURGLASS by Myra McIntyre
THIRTEEN REASONS WHY by Jay Asher
THE GIRL IN THE STEEL CORSET by Kady Cross
GLIMMERGLASS by Jenna Black
DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth
INVINCIBLE SUMMER by Hannah Moskowitz
CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS by Cassandra Clare
LAND OF THE PAINTED CAVES by Jean Auel
CRYER'S CROSS by Lisa McAnn
DEMONGLASS by Rachel Hawkins
WICKED LOVELY by Melissa Marr
DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver
MATCHED by Ally Condie
THE IRON QUEEN by Julie Kagawa
THE IRON DUKE by Meljean Brook
SHADOWFEVER by Karen Marie Moning
DREAMFEVER by Karen Marie Moning
ASCEND by Amanda Hocking
TORN by Amanda Hocking
SWITCHED by Amanda Hocking
ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins
DASH AND LILY'S BOOK OF DARES by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
WHITE CAT by Holly Black
DARK ROAD TO DARJEELING by Deanna Raybourn
SILENT IN THE SANCTUARY by Deanna Raybourn
SILENT ON THE MOORS by Deanna Raybourn
SILENT AS THE GRAVE by Deanna Raybourn
BRIGHT YOUNG THINGS by Anna Godberson
HUSH MONEY by Susan Bischoff
WISDOM by Amanda Hocking
THE IRON DAUGHTER by Julie Kagawa
THE IRON KING by Julie Kagawa

Conclusions:
1. When I find an author I like, I'll devour everything in their series and all their future books.
2. I favor paranormal YA and paranormal romance. Normal bores me; I want an escape!
3. I buy a lot of books based on Twitter hype and liking the author on Twitter.
4. I am rarely disappointed in books found via Twitter.

My favorite Nook books this year: ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS and LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR by Stephanie Perkins, DASH AND LILY'S BOOK OF DARES, THE NIGHT CIRCUS, everything by Deanna Raybourn and Gail Carriger, everything by Meljean Brook.

My least favorite Nook books: LAND OF THE PAINTED CAVES. I've been a huge fan of Jean Auel since I first read CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR in middle school, but this book was painful to finish. A fantastic reminder that no matter how big you get and how many books you sell, you still need a sharp editor to remind you that NO ONE CARES HOW TO HARVEST CAT TAILS.

Note: This list does not include the MANY, MANY books I bought and read via hard copy, because there's an 8-foot tall Christmas tree blocking my studio and bookshelves. It also doesn't include books I borrowed or bought and didn't finish, of which there were about 5. I'll do a round-up of hard copy books next week.

Further note: Erin Morgenstern, author of NYT bestseller THE NIGHT CIRCUS, will be at Fox Tale Book Shoppe in Woodstock, GA on January 27. If you haven't read it, YOU MUST. Magical, lyrical, evocative, sweet, and otherworldly. Highly recommended, by me and by people whose taste is actually lauded.

*

1 comment:

ChaosMandy said...

I didn't get to read as much as I wanted to this year. I'm hoping to read more in 2012.