Monday, December 5, 2011

on writing: focus on the positive


You know how sometimes, you decide to turn your negatives into positives?

Like when you're in a job interview, and they ask you your greatest weakness, and instead of saying SPIDERS, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SPIDERS, you say, "I'm just too much of a perfectionist" or some other load of complete bullsh*t?

I'm learning how to do that.

I have a short attention span, get bored easily, and chase shiny things like a cat with a penlight.

I'M BEING CREATIVE AND FOLLOWING MY MUSE.

I tend to get obsessed with things. And obsess over them. Obsessively.

I'M DRIVEN.

I really like to eat cupcakes and brownies.

I'M BEING KIND TO MYSELF WHILE I WRITE.

I hate cleaning. And laundry. And picking up after other people.

I'M FOCUSING ON MORE LUCRATIVE WORK. FOR THE GOOD OF THE FAMILY.

I love shopping online for boots and coats and hats.

I'M CULTIVATING MY BRAND.

I like talking to people on Twitter and Facebook.

I JUST TOLD YOU: I'M *CULTIVATING* MY *BRAND*.

I need excuses to take long, bubbly baths in the middle of the day.

I'M ENTERING A TRANCE STATE TO SOLVE PLOT PROBLEMS.

In short, pretty much everything I do that's horrid can be translated into a positive in my career as an author.

IT'S THE BEST THING EVER.

Only nine minutes until the brownies are ready.

*

5 comments:

amber d* said...

"I'm driven" and "I'm being kind of myself while I write" Yesss! These will be my new sayings every time I try going to the negative side.

A friend of mine has given me a paper I brought into work that had this general idea. Instead of saying "When the ___ do you expect me to do this?" you'd say: "I guess I can work late." And a whole bunch of others. We still have it up on the wall :)

RosyRevolver said...

HELL YES!!!!

t. said...

i so need to practice this!

Jamie said...

Okay this post is FANTASTIC - I love it!!! A LOT!!!

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Thanks, y'all! You've made me feel much better about eating an entire pan of brownies in two days. :)

An even trade for 50 pages, right?