Sunday, November 13, 2011

in which I get very blue. blueish.


The problem with being terribly vain about your long, dark hair is that you spend your life being too chicken to do anything drastic with it. No crazy colors. No wacky strips. Nothing that involves-- GASP!-- bleach.

Until today.


Today, I went to Sally's and bought a Manic Panic bleaching kit.

Man, oh metal man, does that stuff reek.

But now I have teal hair.

In the immortal words of Sterling Archer, JUST THE TIPS.



It's a little more teal/less green than it seems in the pictures.

I'm not sure what possessed me to do it. Much like the Great Nose Ring Debacle of 2009, I just decided it needed to be done and did it. That was green, too, now that I think about it.

I've always had an impulsive streak, and I very rarely regret the things I do... just the things I wanted to do and didn't.

Now, I wish I had played with odd hair colors years ago.

Now, I'm just thankful to be at a place in my life where I don't care all that much about being judged for wearing a silly hat or a dramatic cape or putting teal streaks in my hair.

Now, I'm going upstairs to read a steampunk YA book I've been waiting to enjoy.

Now, if you like blue hair, you should go read DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE by Laini Taylor and then head out to Sally's. What have you got to lose?

They have purple and pink, too.

*

12 comments:

Ali Trotta said...

I've been toying with the idea of streaking my hair. I think you may have swayed me.

Also? Your hair looks amazing. *raises glass* Here's to teal-tipped hair, silly hats, and capes.

Jennifer Rush said...

I must hear more about this nose piercing debacle. I'm thinking about getting mine done. Would you not recommend it?

And I totally love the hair!

Tanya said...

LOVE IT!

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Jennifer, you can see it here: http://delilahpaints.blogspot.com/2009/03/um-mom.html

I had a surgical steel nose screw put in, but it wouldn't heal. And I couldn't get it to heal until I ordered a titanium barbell from piercing.org. So I tell everyone that you need to get it done with one of those in the first place. They heal faster, hurt less, and don't act as booger catchers. =)Plus, you can buy all sorts of pretty gems or shapes that fit into the same barbell.

Do it!

The worst that happens is you take it out. Non-permanent fun!

tatgurl said...

Yup! Love colored hair! Had teal for the first time when I was 16.

Your YA reference reminded me that you spoke of a must read YA a while back. You wouldn't remember what that was would you?

Pinafores & Pinwheels said...

Love it!

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Must-read YA? Where do I start?

This one is Goliath, the 3rd in Scott Westerfeld's steampunk series.

But my fav YA of the year was probably Stephanie Perkins' Lola and the Boy Next Door. Oddly enough, it's completely contemporary, no magic at all. No one does quirky love stories like Stephanie, and she had blue hair the last time I saw her, so IT IS SERENDIPITY. =)

EttyOop said...

LOVE the hair! I admire your bravery -- my hair doesn't take chemicals well, and I'm scared to do anything too drastic. Though I keep wanting to chop it all off. It's been 7ish years since I started to grow it back, and now it's long and lovely again...

But I digress.

LOVE the teal!

amber d* said...

LOVE IT!

I saw on some blog...brain cannot think which one...someone had did the rainbow effect on the tips of their hair. I loved it, and wanted to do it for 2 weeks straight, but ended up talking myself out of it like a lame-face.

jarvenpa said...

It must be in the air (or hair) this need to change color; I've hennaed my hair for the first time in a few years. My daughter went through a whole lot of Manic Panic back in her teen years; the teal tended to fade quickly for her (she has very blonde hair naturally) but the pink and purple went on for a long, long time.

Now her hair is mermaid long and pale blonde once again. For the moment. Love your streaks.

jarvenpa said...

Omigosh, the next word verification is nouns!!! (sorry, small things please me around midnight)

Jennifer Rush said...

Thanks for the info! Now I just have to work up the courage to do it. :D