Sunday, September 25, 2011

twit beyond measure


Yes, I found the Golden Quill and got into Pottermore early.

Yes, I was very anxious about being sorted.

I know, in my heart, that I'm a Ravenclaw.

Luckily, the Sorting Hat agreed.

Which is good, because now I don't have to buy a new t-shirt.

Also, I named my tawny owl Grundy, and my wand is made of chestnut with a phoenix feather core.

What does this tell you?

1. I'm a total lit geek. But we knew that.
2. I'm completely immature. But we knew that.
3. I'm playing on Pottermore instead of writing the outline due to my editor on October 1.
4. Play is an integral part of my work process.
5. I'll still get the outline in ahead of time.

If you knew me in high school, you probably remember me wearing a ridiculous hat. I love ridiculous hats. I still wear them. You might also remember me chasing armadillos in Cloud Canyon or organizing the French club to roller skate in fake mustaches and berets while waving baguettes in the Homecoming parade or having my picture taken in front of deer antlers and shouting triumphantly, "I AM THE JACKALOPE!"

I was silly, back then.

I'm silly now.

I believe with all my heart that my silliness, my juvenile sense of humor, and my lack of shame regarding public ridiculousness are part of what make me a successful writer. I like telling stories, making bad puns, and dreaming up weird crap that makes no sense, like vampire bunnies. I like to have fun, but it's the kind of fun nine-year-olds like to have. I like climbing trees and playing on playgrounds and leaving silly notes for strangers.

And I hope I never, ever grow out of it.

My point here is that sometimes, being silly is the answer.

And yes, you might be laughed at.

I myself was laughed at when I preened, telling my husband I was SO RAVENCLAW and my wand was KICKASS and my owl was BETTER THAN THAT SPOTTY PRAT HEDWIG. I like that books can build a world so real, so deep, that something THIS STUPID matters to me.

I want to build worlds like that, too.

And that's why I'm off to continue the outline for book 2, which involves a floating brothel. I've been sorted, I'm chillin' in the Ravenclaw common room, and now I'm ready to get back to work.

If you're on Pottermore, let's be pals. I'm NightChaser 201, and I'm not ashamed to be playing a game meant for children.

After all, I AM THE JACKALOPE.

*


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you in high school, but I don't remember you wearing hats. Huzzah for being a guy!

Harley May said...

I like you.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

I mostly wore hats in the car to keep my long hair from getting tangled. But there are several in the yearbook, too.

Harley, honey, IT'S SO MUTUAL.