Friday, August 5, 2011

something that I want

So I'm a mean old lady, but some things always make me cry. Like the last page of Watership Down. And the song Starlight by Muse. And chopping onions.

And this.




I don't watch a lot of videos, and I definitely don't recommend a lot of videos.

But this one is worth watching.

I don't know the full story on it. I just know it's the office where Tangled was developed and produced, and I have to assume that all the people in it are people who helped. And they're having so much fun that it makes me cry every f'ing time I watch it.

"Why are you crying?" my daughter asked me.

"Because they're having such a fun time. Because they get to do this for a living. They get to work in that office, and make dreams come true every day. They made the movie that we watch and laugh at and dance to. That's their job. And it makes me so happy that I cry."

And she looks at me like I'm crazy.

She still doesn't quite get it. And she doesn't see me up writing until 2am, so enraptured with an idea and in love with characters and caught in the flow that I couldn't sleep if I wanted to. Kids rarely get to see their parents in thrall with life, doing something they feel passionate about. Kids need to see that more often.

It's hard to communicate to a child that your work doesn't have to be drudgery. You don't have to hate school and be bored in college and go do something you hate every day. You can find a way to do the thing you love. It might be rare, in our world. But it's possible.

When my kids grow up, my hope for them is that they wake up smiling every day, excited about what's to come.

Every time I watch that video, I wish the internet had existed when I was 9, and someone had shown it to me and said:

DO. THIS.

And then told me how.

And then given me a pony.

*


7 comments:

resolute twig said...

awesome post. you are lucky to have found something you love!

ChaosMandy said...

That is just awesome :) I hope that I can get to the point that I can just be a writer full time.

Anonymous said...

I will send you a pony. I can't afford one now, so I will buy him on the layaway plan and send you one piece at a time.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

Anon, please send the skeleton first so we can get Super Saver Shipping on Amazon.com.

Mollie said...

Really truly, I've missed my calling. I should've just dismissed the fear and applied to art school instead of State. Meh.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

Mollie, I went to art school... state art school. And it sucked. I think it depends what you do with it. I didn't like being there, and I didn't really use the degree.

There is always time to be awesome!

Rachel said...

You would have liked my old studio. We worked on the second floor of the old Nickelodeon set and the whole floor was painted to look like the inside of a Ren & Stimpy spaceship. Including a huge wall dedicated to Powdered Toast Man. ;)