Thursday, August 18, 2011

so that's charming

One of my biggest problems is sleep deprivation. Of course, it also leads to my best work, but I think we all know that crazypants people make interesting art and bad friends. Still, some of my grandest ideas arrive in the hazy fog while I'm trying to fall asleep.

And it happened last night.

My agent suggested I write a straight-up romance with no magic, vampires, or demons. And I was all, BUT REAL LIFE IS BORING. But last night, I had The Idea. I went downstairs to type out my notes and clear out my brain, which usually works. Kind of like cleaning out the litter pan, but instead of cat doo, it's full of MAGIC.

This time, it didn't work.

Instead, for no reason whatsoever, the following song got stuck in my head.

Bon jour Pierrot!, bon jour Jacquot! 
tuons le coq, tuons le coq; 
tu ne diras plus cocodi; cocoda; tu ne diras plus cocodi; cocoda!
il ne diras plus cocalarico.


Or, to translate this delightful ditty from Madame Adams and 6th grade French:
Hi, Pierrot! Hi, Jacquot!
Let's kill the rooster! Let's kill the rooster!
You won't say cockadoodledoo anymore
You won't say cockadoodledoo anymore
He won't say cockadoodledoo.

I'm not sure which is more bizarre-- that the French people sing this to their children or that a middle school teacher thought it was a good cultural experience for first-time French students. We used to sing it in rounds, just like Row, Row, Row Your Boat. I don't think we knew what it meant.

Here's one promise, though: The next book will have nothing to do with murdering chickens. I'm even thinking about making the heroine a vegetarian.

Also, I punted a rooster once. He was trying to kill me at the time.

It was awesome.

4 comments:

Tarah said...

haha. It's always funny to look back on things you learned when you were younger with the wisdom of age now. Ring Around the Rosy? How morbid!

Tanya said...

I guess with Google there's no such thing as a rhetorical question but I haven't googled yet so - Row Your Boat had some sinister meaning?

To the GooMobile!

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Tanya, the actual lyrics are:

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily merrily merrily merrily
Throw the corpse overboard and go kill again, kids.

Virginia Valerie said...

Teaching children about effective corpse disposal is a good idea. Very useful life skill.