Tuesday, June 21, 2011

writers' group: last sentence

Tonight at my writers' group, our short assignment was challenging: Write a last sentence that intrigues you so much you want to read the book.

It could be anything. Funny, chilling, sad, poignant. And when we read them aloud, they ranged from lobster politics to possible murder by drowning.

Here's mine:

After that day, the sign read Isaiah's Crossing, Population: 912, but we all knew that was a lie.

The other assignment was a long one in which I wrote a mysterious YA selkie story from a boy's point of view beginning with the opening sentence of Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God.

That's why I love my writers' group so much-- it jolts my brain into making new and interesting connections between lobsters, cranberry martinis, and time-traveling dudes in frilly jabots.

3 comments:

stephanie constantin said...

I want to read that story!

Anonymous said...

Wait a second - I thought you were putting out "aBlud" first. What is this "Wicked as they Come"???

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Simon & Schuster changed the title. We think that's the final one.