Tuesday, June 14, 2011

oh, that song.

1. Go to clean out the dining room and find CD case from 1990's and early 2000's.

2. Find various CDs, including Squirrel Nut Zippers, Nina Simone, Poe, Ani Difranco, Cake, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Prodigy, Prema, Mono, Gipsy Kings, Morphine, Harry Connick, Jr., the sound tracks to Braveheart, Moulin Rouge, and Kama Sutra, and one handmade CD simply titled BELLYDANCE from my one fabled public performance in a gold-coined bra.

3. See an old Sense Field CD and go, OH YEAH! I LOVED THOSE GUYS!

4. Listen. Remember. Have those bone-deep sense memories of that time I ran grooves into the CD, listening to it as I painted. That year, I painted almost every day and couldn't write a word. Seriously, I had crippling writer's block.

So, you know. The opposite of now.

5. Decide that I need to hear Sense Field's song The Horse is Alive.

6. Spend 30 minutes trying to find it online. Not on YouTube, not on iTunes, and not in 10 pages of Google searching.

7. Find it on Amazon.

8. Listen to sample. Start crying, then abruptly stop when the sample runs out.

9. Decide that I will never feel complete again until I can hear the whole song.

10. Remember that I don't have an Amazon account.

11. Remember that I *do* have an Amazon account, because remember when I bought that cute teal hat with the feather on it?

12. Randomly pick one of four credit cards listed.

13. Say a very naughty word when it's rejected. Remember that Wells Fargo cancels my debit card every 4 months due to their own stupid security breaches.

14. Try 3 more credit cards until I find the one that's up to date.

15. Accidentally buy the song twice.

16. Listen to it in utter bliss, stomping my feet and tearing up because it's SO FREAKING PRETTY.

17. Realize I have no idea how to get it from Amazon mp3 to iTunes.

18. Try that for 20 minutes.

19. Howl at my own ineptitude.

20. Figure it out.

21. Howl in victory.

22. Listen to it 7 times. Or 8. Or 9.

23. Smile.

If you're interested in checking it out, it's here for 99cents.

For someone with no musical talent, I need this stuff like water. Like air. But happy air that's just the right temperature and rolls crunchy leaves around and makes your skirt flap in the breeze in October and the sky is so blue that it hurts. Like that.

6 comments:

Southern Belle Mama said...

I really liked that song! Next time you think of a song you just have to hear try grooveshark.com They seriously have every song you could imagine. :)

Tanya said...

. . .

Ok how do you get something from Amazon to iTunes?

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Tanya, you're going to need an old priest and a young priest.

Also, I forgot.

I think in iTunes you go to file > import, then find the mp3 in your download folder. Or something.

Anonymous said...

Well, I checked out the song and hated every second of it. Please try and conform your tastes more in line with my own in the future (funk, Tom Waits, and hillbilly music from the 1930s).

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Dear Anonymous: I CAN'T HELP IT IF YOU HAVE NO TASTE. Except in women. Damn, you have fine taste in women.

EttyOop said...

Okay, totally never heard of these people before, and I clicked to hear the sample. And now I may need to buy that. And possibly the album too. BUt first I'll ask my husband because usually when I find something musical and older that I love? He's all "duh! how did you not know that? I've been listening to them since I was 12 and I would've expected you to have all their albums in 14 languages and blah blah blah" until i want to smack him. So yeah, I'll ask him first. And if not? I will buy it. So thank you!