Tuesday, June 21, 2011

4 months of The 4 Hour Body

WARNING: This post is about diet and lifestyle, with tips for following the edicts of The 4 Hour Body. If you're looking for happy-go-lucky humor and massive amounts of carbs, I recommend this post about the time I was forced to make a fairy Barbie birthday cake.


If you've dined with me recently on any day other than Saturday, a.k.a. Treat Day, then you've noticed that I'm an enormous pain in the ass.

Meat, beans, greens.

It sounds so easy. Until you realize how many foods aren't included. Dressing, stuffing, quinoa, cheese, corn, bread, fruit.

Yes. Fruit.

It's now a bad guy. Especially those Fruit of the Loom dudes.

Meat, beans, and greens are all I eat on your average day. Sure, "meat" includes eggs. And I'll substitute nuts if no beans can be had. But I'll scrape off sauce, ignore those amazing cheesy delights at Red Lobster, refuse dessert, turn down your sweet tea, and generally be an unruly and possibly rude guest.

But you know what? IT WORKS.

If you're interested in trying it, you can even get the book at Target now. The 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. It's right at the top of this post, and it's large and blue and costs $21, and it's worth every penny.

Here are a few things I've learned since starting the slow carb lifestyle in March.

1. Everything tastes better with Herbamare. Seriously, this seasoning mixture is fabulous on everything from meat to any sort of beans to veggies. Bonus: no extra calories, and they sell it at Whole Foods.

2. Meat tastes better when cooked in a hot, cast iron skillet. The grill just can't compare. Here are instructions by Alton Brown. Use for any sort of steak, burger, chop, etc.

3. Organic, grass-fed beef is worth its weight in gold.

4. Organic eggs taste better, especially when cooked in a dab of pasture butter.

5. You should always fill your plate-- but with vegetables.

6. If you're stalling out, drink more water.

7. Don't eat spoonfuls of nut butter out of a jar unless it's a last resort.

8. When you don't eat any sugar, red wine actually tastes sweet.

9. If you're going to try this diet, you have to do it 100%. You can't half-ass it or make substitutions. That's what Weight Watchers is for.

10. A diet isn't something you do for a while before going back to "normal." It's a way of life, and you have to plan ahead and think about everything you eat. As we saw recently at Disneyworld, there's a lot of mindless eating going on in America, and I hope I never have to drive a scooter around due to a weight problem.

That being said, on Treat Day? BRING IT ON. I look forward to my morning almond croissant ALL WEEK. There's generally a cupcake and at least one Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. And although I always promise myself I'll eat banana and almond butter toast for lunch, I somehow end up at Five Guys for a burger. Every. Single. Week.

When Dr. Krog first spent two hours looking for this book at B&N, I was annoyed. Then I saw how much trouble it would be, and I was seriously annoyed. Then I started it, had my first case of sugar withdrawal, and was God-almighty-pissed. Then I got used to it. And now I love it.

Losing weight and being fit is never easy. But it is possible.

So, anybody else tried The 4 Hour Body or any type of slow carbing?

Got any tips?





6 comments:

Mollie said...

Nope, no tips...just praise. I think I'll be doing this come September.

dk said...

Awesome work, darlin! I think all three hosts of the Nerdist podcast are doing the 4-hour body after having Ferriss on as a guest. Best part of each podcast is them discussing what they had for cheat day. Heh.
This diet butts up against the same Zone/Paleo-approach Crossfit endorses... I just don't do any of it seriously enough. I would really need to sit down and figure out all the substitutions I would need to make for just about EVERY meal. Not fun, but I'm sure it would be effective as hell. Congrats on your success!

Virginia Valerie said...

I truly admire your commitment and strength!!

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

And Val, I admire YOUR BELLEH. =)

the Gypsy Coast said...

no tips, but definitely inspired to try!!

charissimo said...

I've been doing a version of this for 6 months now and am generally pleased. But I don't think I'll EVER be able to quit eating nut butter out of the jar with a spoon. It happens daily here at chez Lostview...