Friday, April 8, 2011

rant: sigh no more? SIGH A LOT MORE.

So I'm seriously sad.

I woke up with one objective this morning: Buy tickets to see Mumford & Sons at the Fabulous Fox Theatre on June 12.

At 9:30, I was at my computer with my credit card, waiting. At 9:59, I was on the ticket page, hitting refresh. The first time the ticket option showed up, I selected (2) at any price and waited.

And waited. And waited. And waited.

I did not move from the page. I did not hit refresh. I just stared, hungrily, at the screen.

The next page that came up, 10 minutes later, informed me that no tickets were available.

So I tried a few more times. Still nothing.

So I called Ticketmaster. Nothing.

Even though I was in the system when tickets went on sale at 10am, I was not able to purchase tickets. But you know who did? The asshats who are now selling the $37.50 tickets for $100 a pop on "ticket sharing" websites.

So I did what any red-blooded American in front of their laptop would do: I commented on their Facebook page.

And you know what? I'm not alone.

Dozens of Atlanta fans posted that despite being on Ticketmaster at 10am, they were unable to purchase tickets, whereas somehow the ticket brokers had no problem snapping up hundreds and selling out the show.

Look. I'm 33. I'm a writer and a wife and a mother of two. I still use a flip phone. I have to find a babysitter. And I've only seen one concert since 1999. Seeing this show meant a lot to me. I'm not some college kid who gets to see two shows every weekend.

And it looks like this show, the one I've been waiting on, the one that was penned onto my calendar as ZOMG BUY MUMFORD TIX 10AM OR DIE!-- it looks like I won't be able to see it.

So I'm angry and sad. Not at the band themselves. I know they don't handle tour schedules or Ticketmaster. And I certainly know they're not hovering over their Facebook page, waiting to hand out front row tickets to the hundreds of disappointed fans who are actual people and not, in fact, robots.

No, I'm mad at the system.

I'm mad that music has become so impersonal that a serious fan, someone who ACTUALLY PAID FOR THE CD rather than downloading it illegally, can't even pay their hard-earned cash to go see the band if they're waiting the second tickets go on sale.

Screw you, system. I can't see Mumford and Sons perform Sigh No More live, so I will indeed keep sighing.

4 comments:

dk said...

Ugh...major suckage. Sorry. :(

Loralie Hall said...

epicsadface :-(

I have a lot of problems with a system like that, and I agree with all you said. I'm so sorry you'll miss out.

Anonymous said...

Mumford and Sons? You must be the whitest person I know.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Actually, Anonymous, I have a very fetching pajama tan and a slight sunburn. So NYAH.