Wednesday, April 27, 2011

it takes guts.

I'm going to do something very brave here. Show you something I don't want anyone to see.

Ever.

It's my gut.

Well, it was.

I'm going to show you why I'm doing The 4-Hour Body diet. See, we were at a playground for a playdate, and my friend Jenny used her amazing camera to take a picture of me playing on a climbing wall thing. I loved about 75% of the picture.


The smile, the hat, the shoes. But then I saw my gut and got all queasy.

Surely it doesn't look like that?

That's not how I picture myself.

But there it is.

I'm pretty sure that was the day that Dr. Krog brought home The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss. We started reading it, and I was desperate enough to be open to the hardest, cruelest diet I'd ever encountered.

It works like this:

Eat 3-4 meals per day. Eat only meat/eggs, green vegetables, and beans/nuts.

No dairy. No sugar. No grains. No shrimp. No chocolate. No honey.

No alcohol except dry red wine.

Once a week you can eat whatever you want on Binge Day.

Also, buy a kettlebell and swing it 50 times, 3 times a week.

Also, record your morning and evening weight.

DOES THAT NOT SOUND LIKE MY OWN, PERSONAL VERSION OF HELL?

But I started it. On the night of March 26, I weighed 142 pounds.

For perspective, I was about 132 for all of high school, 135 for married life, went up to 177 with each kid, back down to a comfortable, eat-whatever-I-want 145 for post-baby life. I'm 33, and I'm 5'6". My BMI is totally normal, but I've never been proud of my body. I despise exercise of the gym/running/aerobics kind. And I freaking love cupcakes or anything that involves cakiness and frosting.

And, thus far, I have lost 8 pounds. In a month.

I started the 4-Hour Body that night and have only cheated one time in a month, and that was to have a drink at a big, extended family dinner. And, as Tim Ferriss tells you to do, I excused myself to the restroom before and after that amaretto sour for 60 air squats and 30 presses in my fancy dress.

And not to get all reduxy on you, but whenever I see this pic from yesterday's circus blog, I can see such an amazing difference in my body that I have to smile. My arms have tone and definition. My stomach is slimmer. My legs are slimmer. There's a dip under my ribcage. And I feel great.


I'm sleeping better. My skin is better. My attitude is better. And although sometimes I crave carbs with the passion of a thousand fiery stars, I am able to reject them. And then I buy myself an almond croissant on Friday night in preparation for Saturday morning, and it is the most delicious almond croissant that has ever existed.

If you, like me, have spent your entire life with a mental image that doesn't match your actual pictures, hoping that one day you'll find a secret bullet and look like you want to look, you might want to check out The 4-Hour Body. I'm now seeing it as less of a diet than an overall life plan. I'm starting to believe that my lifelong addiction, sugar, is a poison.

I have this silly life goal to get below 130 pounds. And it looks like that might actually happen, right in time for bathing suit season.

Disclaimer:
For the record, I'm not writing this blog post in a "Please, everyone hop into the comments to tell me I look better or was just fine the way I was" sort of way, although I know Urfa will, because she is the sweetest person I've ever met. It was important to me that I show you that picture I hate so much, that triggered such self-loathing in me. If reading this book can make you feel as great about yourself-- and as healthy-- as I feel right now, it'll be worth it. This blog has seen me go vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, sugar-free. You name it.

This is the first thing that has actually worked.

The 4-Hour Body takes guts.

And it pretty much obliterates them.

10 comments:

dk said...

YAY!!!
A) You were already perfect.
B) We can all stand to improve.
C) Tim Ferriss is that kind of evil genius who actually has a soul and ends up doing good work against his conscious will.
D) (Not really shameless plug) Have you ever tried CrossFit? Same diet principles, plus a fun and varied exercise routine (ie, the kettlebell swings WILL eventually get really old...)
http://www.crossfit.com
E) Congratulations on loving it!

Andrea, The Barefoot Bard said...

Well, you are beautiful and vibrant, regardless of weight... but if anyone knows what you mean about certain things (like photos) launching a bout of self-loathing, it would be me. Good for you for taking a leap and finding something that catapulted you out of that place. All the best to you as you keep moving forward!

amybhickman said...

I'm 34 and 5'5 and for the first time in my entire life a "fat skinny girl". Not thrilled aobut bathing suit season and it's literally knocking on my doorstep. I totally get it. The muffintop has got to go. Working on it slowly but surely...more slowly.
Congrats, D! I don't even know if I have the power to do what you are doing. But you'll be rocking the bikini at the pool next month and I'll be hiding under a tankini. :)

RosyRevolver said...

Gorgeous girl!

I was just looking at that diet. I have a couple family members who are doing it. You look incredible and this was the inspiration I needed.

Rock on, sister.

James Garcia Jr said...

Good for you! Now, if I could only get off of this laptop and get back out and start running again...*sigh*


-Jimmy

urfaqhesse said...

you look amazing. AMAZING. i noticed the flat tummy obviously, but those legs!!! fantastic!!!

you and i have a lot of the same issues with our bodies, so i thought it might work for me. And this one works for me. I love all the foods and it has been amazing to see how little i want all the other crap i fill my pie (crusty bread) hole with all the time.

I haven't weighed myself in years, but Ryan says he can see a difference, and that man notices nothing.

regardless, you look amazinger. way to kick some ass.

urfaqhesse said...

also, thanks for saying such nice things about me :)

made Ryan jealous - YAY!

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Urfs, if I ever decide to bat for the other team, you and I are totally running away to the Bahamas. So glad it's working for you!

Rosy, honey, join us! It makes life so much easier, being in the slow carb cult. And hugs to you.

Thanks, guys!

~d.

urfaqhesse said...

hahahahaha
hahahahahahahah
right back at ya :)
<3

Jimmy Franconi said...

Your diet seems good, but I'm going to stick with my diet of meth and not eating.