Sunday, April 24, 2011

eggy day vignettes

When I look back at a day like today, I remember the tiny moments. The ones that aren't so obvious.

I mean, it wasn't the stiff, everybody-say-cheese family photo that I'll remember.

It's this one.



And it's not the fancy Easter dress I'll remember. It's how excited she was about those ridiculous ears.



And the boy. It was fun watching him discover his first real Easter basket. But it was more fun watching him eat chocolate chip ice cream, a very rare treat.



Because yes, we are horrible, Draconian people who 100% believe that sugar turns our children into raging monsters.

But man, that kid likes ice cream.

And Dr. Krog?

This picture captures my favorite vignette of him.



Seriously, guys. He's an awesome father, and his biceps are the size of grapefruits.

Even my grandmother noticed it.

We're celebrating her 60th wedding anniversary next month, and one of my favorite moments of the day was spent sitting under the umbrella on the back porch, listening to her tell the story of taking the train out to California to marry my grandfather before he got shipped off to Japan with the Service.



And although we ate lots and lots of wonderful things today and I burned the crap out of my mouth on my own favorite taco dip at an awesome Easter Brunch of which we have no pictures, I still can't stop thinking about what a fun time I had last night with the Biscuit at her first Fancy Grown-Up Meal.



She colored a picture for every person at the table. She was so polite and quiet and charming. I've never been more proud.

Except when she showed her grandfather how well she could hit a T-ball.

I was pretty proud then, too.


Happy Easter, y'all. I hope your day was as wonderful as mine.

4 comments:

LTM said...

aww. Looks like you guys had a great time, and I like how you made the photos look old-timey. :D Yay for g'mom, and I tried that whole "no chocolate the first year" thing. My parents foil all my best dietary intentions... :o| <3

urfaqhesse said...

so so so beautiful :)

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

It just goes to show you: Urf Girls are Easy.

J.LiLy said...

Your easter looks like it was so amazing!
The kind of holiday get-together that your grandkids will look at in scrapbooks and think "I wish things were still as simple and beautiful as they were back then".
I think that all the time when looking at my mother and grandmothers scrapbooks.

I just wanted to let you know, you're blog is my favorite! It's the only one I check up on everyday. My daughter is T-Rex's age, and I discovered your blog when she was about 6 months old. It's been making me laugh and think ever since.

So thank you! Because sometimes, all you need is a little laughter. And on days when I really needed that, your blog gave it to me. =)

Jessica at J.LiLy