Saturday, March 19, 2011

my job doesn't pay well, but the view is spectacular


The days are long and the years are short.

That's what happens when you have kids.

This party seemed to last forever, mainly because I didn't get any cake and I didn't get enough sleep last night and I haven't had caffeine in three days and I kept daydreaming of my great-grandmother's living room covered in that fake white yogurt they put on pretzels--and no, I have no idea why that image came to mind. But I talked to some nice folks and loved watching the girls twirling and giggling in their princess costumes.

When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a cowgirl/Indian. Or Indiana Jones. I don't think I ever had a princess dress or went through a princess phase. I didn't learn how to be feminine until I was in my late 20's.

But I love to watch her pretend and spin around and sing and coo over jewels. The happy moments go by as fast as that picture, so fast that they can't even be captured.

That's why it's my job to chase them.



Although sometimes I try to catch them like fireflies in a jar.

They're easier to document when they can't run away.

p.s. By "my job," I mean motherhood. Not my sweet writing gigs, which treat me rather nicely.

4 comments:

Heather said...

The Biscuit is turning out to be a stunningly lovely young woman. I'm so glad you're able to catch these moments of happiness and innocence while they're happening.

Mimstress said...

Beautiful writing and beautiful pics all about a beautiful girl. Both your daughter and you :) You are a lucky girl to be able to be with your babies and do what you love. That's a very rare gig! Congrats and kudos : )

urfaqhesse said...

my god she's so amazingly beautiful! as is her mama.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Thanks, guys! I'll admit I'm thoroughly fortunate. And that I now have a pretty cool point-and-shoot to show it.