Tuesday, March 8, 2011

missing: my pretties


Gone.
My pretties are gone.



My jewelry roll inexplicably disappeared some time between San Antonio and Atlanta. A little cream bag with three zippers, covered in beads and shells.


And it contained my jewelry. Not the fancy stuff-- the pieces that aren't worth much to anyone but me.


The beautiful etched silver poppy by my talented friend Alice, my gift to myself for losing the pregnancy weight-- again.


The wood necklace in the second picture, which I wore the first time I figured out how to look "put together" for a high school friend's baby shower.


The heavy, hand-made turquoise ring with UNRULY HELPMEET stamped on the band, just because I'd never owned a statement ring and wanted to have something huge on my Truckasaurus finger.

The jade and pottery shard necklace that looks so great with my plum tank top and black sweater, my go-to outfit for when I want to look awesome but not like I'm trying to look awesome.


My favorite gold earrings, the ones in the first picture with the giant elk. They make me feel like a gypsy. They almost blew out of my ears on the observation deck of the Tower of the Americas, and I turned to my buddy Krystal and said, "OMIGOD, I would totally freak out if I lost those earrings," and I put them in my pocket until we were on solid, non-tornado-windy ground again.


I feel like I didn't just lose my jewelry. I lost my stories.

I called the car service. I tore the house apart. I posted on Craigslist. I submitted a form to Continental. And in the back of my mind, I'm praying I just hid them from myself at 2am when I got home, and I'm going to find them in a sock one day soon.


If not, this post is here.


So I can remember.


Sniffle.

3 comments:

Couch Fort Engineer said...

Oh no!!!! Did you call the hotel? Maybe you thought you put them in your bag, but accidently didn't? I would totally go grab them and send them to you!

Delilah S. Dawson said...

Yeah, I need to hunt up the business card that came with my chocodillo box and give 'em a call. When I stop crying.

And Ramona's got some pretty awesome pics up, too.

Thanks for stopping by the blog, Bullsnot Sister!

Spotted Sparrow said...

That sucks big 'ole donkey balls! I hope you find them. If not, try to think of it as the opportunity to find more pretties and stories. Yeah, kind of cheesy, but the best I could come up with before coffee.