Monday, March 21, 2011

dusk till dawn


Dusk till dawn.

It's a wonderfully horrible vampire movie from the 90's in which Selma Hayek dances with a snake and George Clooney is, inexplicably, the brother of Quentin Tarrantino.

But more than that, it's my current sleep philosophy.

Along with that "don't be buzzing on caffeine all freakin' day," I'm trying to get more than my usual 6 hours of sleep per night so that I don't need all that caffeine. It's a vicious, tasty circle.

But it's hard.

I love the quiet moments after the kids go to bed. I can hammer out a few pages of the next book, write for the blog, do some reviews for Cool Mom Picks, or type up an article for our local Patch. Or I can just play on Twitter and Facebook and generally enjoy myself in a way that's impossible during the day, when tiny people are shrieking POOP and YOU ARE A MOMMY TRANSFORMER and AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO FEED ME?

And then it's suddenly 11pm and I'm wide awake.

On the other hand, I slept for ELEVEN HOURS last night. And it was amazing. I swear I looked 5 years younger this morning. And I've been thinking about bedtime all day.

Sleep is my new caffeine.

So I'm going to go now. And sleep. And I'll see you when this happens again.


Note: Going to bed at 8:30 does not make me lame and boring. I AM FASCINATING. Just sleepy. I'll ride a unicycle in the morning. That'll show you.

Just out of curiosity, how much sleep do you guys get?

If it's more than 12 hours, I'll kick you in the jibblies.

10 comments:

Janet said...

I try for 8 or 9 hours most nights, but sadly I'm on that roller coast of needing caffeine to wake up, then needing a sleeping pill to sleep. Hopefully your new lifestyle will inspire me to break the cycle!

Painting DVD said...

Great site! I like the pictures in it!...Daniel

amber d* said...

I go in spurts of different sleep. Some nights I can get 8-10 hours. Other nights I barely even get 4. I hate it. Especially when I'm so dead tired ALL day long then when it's time to go to bed, I'm wide awake!

stephanie constantin said...

7ish..I need 10, but the little monsters don't go to bed till 8:30 so I have to stay up way too late if I want to get anything done

Eoywin said...

I also went to bed at 8:30 last night!

I get maybe 6 or 7 on a good night. We have been having a lot of sleepfail with my 2 year old which leads to my poor husband sleeping on the couch :(

Anonymous said...

About 10 per night, though I like a nap in the middle of the day.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the cafe.

dk said...

6 hours a night during the week (5am alarm clock), and 8 on the weekends (7am toddler wake-up). 11 hours sounds... dreamy... ;)

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

So everyone else suffers except for Anonymous, because he has a sugar mama.

I say we beat him up.

~d.

jarvenpa said...

On a really good night I might get 7 hours, but my sleep is light and interrupted by caring for my special needs son, who has a very odd sleep pattern and may be wakeful during times when I would like to be asleep. His dad and I take turns being with him (it is needed because he could do something harmful or dangerous). The concept of a long, restful sleep is...pretty amazing. Only get that when I get a break and spend time away.

charissimo said...

I am not currently qualified to answer this question. Please stand by.