Wednesday, January 12, 2011

words i wish i'd written

Yesterday, I read Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. The entire book was charming and fun-- which explains how I read it all in one day and hungered for more. But one sentence of thousands jumped out at me and nearly strangled me with brilliance. I wished to be in my old college dorm room again, just long enough to write it on the wall in Sharpie.

After a few weeks of the writing blahs, I wanted to write again.

Because of one sentence.

Here it is.

"The drapery was so thick and the furniture so cloaked that I half expected to find Sherlock Holmes thumb-wrestling with Jane Austen in the corner."

Does that not perfectly describe a rich old eccentric woman's parlor as seen through the eyes of a teen boy bibliophile? It's genius.

If you love words and want to remember what is possible in a world full of possibilities, give Dash and Lily a chance.

p.s. My favorite line from my WIP is: I looked like the cancan dancer of the damned.

p.p.s. It's my favorite because my agent loved it. If something I write speaks to someone enough for them to mention it on Twitter, it becomes my favorite. So there.

2 comments:

dk said...

I don't write, but one of the reasons I read is because of awesome lines like that. It's no surprise my favorite authors are Terry Pratchett, Neal Stephenson, and Douglas Adams. If JK Rowling or Frank Herbert could drop one-liners like that, both would be at the tippy-top of that list.
Cancan dancer of the damned. Sounds like a punk song. :D

Anonymous said...

I like "The Instructions" by Adam Levin. I'll read yrs if you read mine.