Monday, January 17, 2011

shakeshakeshakeshake it

Here's what I've been working on today, although I haven't put everything in the perfect order yet. It's a playlist for the book I'm working on.

See, I need to channel what it felt like to be a teen and constantly waiting for love and passion and adventure to find you. It's very different from being an adult, content and understood and loved and confident. I need to feel that way again from the safety of my Ikea chair, feel like the heroine of the story, who is very different from me in ways besides age and experience. And music is the best catalyst to that feeling. So this is a mix of songs of mania and yearning and sweetness from then and now, all mixed up.

It's like a drug, this music, a means to a certain kind of high. Every book has a soundtrack, and this one had to be cobbled together. I'm stuck on my manuscript, and I'm not sure which direction to take, so I'm going to load it on my iPod and listen to it while I fall asleep and see what happens.

Writing? Not an exact science.

Out of curiosity, anybody want to tell me what songs transport you back to that time of innocence and longing? You can be anonymous.

Just please don't say Insane Clown Posse, okay?

7 comments:

Tanya said...

What fancy media types call GangSTA rap takes me back to a time of innocence even though the point of the music was to snap America out of it.

I wasn't allowed to listen to it - age 13 in 1993 - so most of the time I was longing for money to re-buy tapes after my mom would confiscate them.

Holy crap. Tapes.

Spotted Sparrow said...

Those Dancing Days - Those Dancing Days
She Bangs the Drums - The Stone Roses
Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down - The Toasters
pretty much anything by the Cure or the Smiths
the first Snoop Dogg album

Anonymous said...

Bruce - Born to run

Taylor said...

Great, now I have that Metro Station song stuck in my head. -_-

All the songs that remind me of my childhood are weird because my family is full of crazy people. The first song to enter my head was the theme to Ghostbusters.

Anything by Billy Joel.

"Conga" by Gloria Estefan.

Megan Meow said...

Counting Crows -- anything from August and Everything After.

Katiri said...

Liz Phair: Mesmerizing

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a wide spread! It's hard to imagine Tanya daydreaming to gangsta rap.

And I miss tapes.

Meggo, Counting Crows makes sense for you. I totally see that.

And katiri, do you know I can't identify even one song by Liz Phair? I just have no idea who she is. Weird.

~d.