Tuesday, January 4, 2011

my contribution to pretend play

biscuit: Mommy, I am being the girl version of Scoopy Doo. My name is Shaggyla. Do you want to play? You can be the girl version of Shaggy.

me: (whispering) Sorry, buddy. Pretty sure I'm rockin' the bronchitis. I just want to sit here, drinking coffee and being miserable as I drown in my own throat.

biscuit: Maybe you could be her, but like you? You could be the girl version of Shaggy, but really really sick and in the hospital?

me: Sure, sweetheart. That sounds great. I'm the girl version of Shaggy, and I'm convalescing in an iron lung in an orphan hospital, and I can't talk or move.

biscuit: Okay. Your name is Scoopyla. Let's play.

me: I'm already playing.

biscuit: THIS IS FUN! I love playing with you, Mommy!

me: And I love playing with you, in part because your expectations are so low.

biscuit: WHEEEEEEE!
(singing)
I can fly
I can shiver
it's a very very great day
cripes were born in Bethlehem
and I am the girl dog
who is a singer
BUT OH MY NO
THAT'S MY MONEY
YOU SHOULD ASK BEFORE YOU SPILL MY MONEY
I WAS SINGING ABOUT BABY JESUS
AND YOU RUINED IT.
Brother, quit playing the piano
that is not a good song
I can't dance to that
MOM, HE IS PLAYING THE PIANO WITH HIS BOTTOM!

And that's the first thirty minutes of my morning.

I think the next stop might be the doctor.

2 comments:

urfaqhesse said...

cripes were born in Bethlehem
and I am the girl dog
who is a singer


Holy cripes, indeed. Feel better, angel.

VanessaFaye said...

This gave me a little laugh this morning, hehe. Just wanted to let you know I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts, as a Mom, and a wannabe writer. Feel better soon.