Tuesday, December 21, 2010

knock knock

The knock-knock jokes have hit our house--and especially our car. There is nothing as hilarious to a four-year old as a knock-knock joke, and they don't even have to make sense.

It goes like this:

biscuit: Knock-knock!
me: Who's there?
biscuit: Um... uh... BANANA!
me: Banana who?
biscuit: Uh... BANANA EATS A LEMON! BWAHAHAHAHA!

So last night, Dr. Krog got in on it, too. We tried to find the funniest joke in the entire world. And we've hit on the formula.

ANIMAL + FUNNY ADJECTIVE + BODILY FUNCTION

For example, some punchlines include:

TIGER DOES A STINKY BURP!
TINKERBELL TOOTS ON A TIGER!
MARMOSET MUCUS MUNCHER!
BABOON BUBBLE BOTTOM!

But the funniest one of all:

me: Knock-knock!
biscuit: Who's there?
me: Hippopotamus!
biscuit: Hippopotamus who?
me: HIPPOPOTAMUS POOKY-TOOT!

Seriously. That's the height of hilarity. The biscuit still laughs if you mention a hippopotamus. And, to be truthful, Dr. Krog and I laughed a good bit, too.

I guess my point is... um...

I don't have one.

Just try HIPPOPOTAMUS POOKY-TOOT on your kid and see if it works. I've never been very good at telling jokes, since I start laughing long before I forget the punchline, but I've finally found my metier in random nonsensical knock-knock jokes.

Having kids is great for that sort of thing-- someone finally appreciates your most pathetic talents. She even told me (once) that she likes it when I sing.

That's magic, folks.

1 comment:

hotpants™ said...

I refuse to share this hilarious knock-knock joke with my son because he's finally stopped telling them. If I share, he'll start all over again. Does this make me a horrible mother?