Thursday, December 23, 2010

further pretty things

So I'm on this mission.



I want all the moms out there emerging from the Baby Coma to start feeling pretty again. It took me a long time, but I'm there. So here are some links that I think you might like. All unpaid. These people don't know me, and if they did, they'd probably laugh at me.

But still.

For inspiration:

The Sartorialist - This blog goes back to 2005, and it's mesmerizing. Yes, most of these clothes are a kabillion dollars and tailored, and the majority of the people are model thin. But it's been amazing for me to see things that real people wear on the streets in big cities. The tiny details, the pops of color, the unusual silhouettes. The lack of Uggs, Crocs, and oversized jeans and sweatshirts.

This is the website that taught me that fashion isn't about buying the cheapest clothes possible to hide your potbelly.

To actually buy stuff:

(Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong-- much of my wardrobe comes from the sales rack of Target. But I'm learning that it's better to have 2 amazing pairs of well-made shoes than to have 10 pairs of sucky shoes. When I shop these sites, I shop the sales.)

1. Anthropologie: Beautifully curated collections of clothes, shoes, accessories, and jewelry. I go directly to the sale section, which changes daily. My favorite boots are from here, and I just ordered these adorable shoes last night as a Christmas present to myself.

2. ModCloth: Adorable vintage and retro-inspired clothes, shoes, and accessories.

3. Ruche: Another version of the above two. They have a cool Lookbook where they curate amazing outfits and then list all the pieces involved and related. Serious inspiration.

And lastly, you know what makes me feel really great?

A good haircut and having my eyebrows threaded every week.

Feeling put-together has added a new dimension to my life. I feel more confident and happy, being surrounded by things that are beautiful and of good quality. I love getting ready in the morning and smile a lot more. Of course, it takes time to collect things, and I'm being very choosy. But the perfect scarf, a handmade necklace off Etsy, or just a sale cloche hat from TJ Maxx makes me feel special, which can be difficult once you have kids.

Take care of yourself. You're worth it.

Unless you're Hitler.

Also, if you have some Indian food lying around, please send it over. I'm starving to death.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

Where do you get your eyebrows done?

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

At Sara on highway 92 in the SuperTarget shopping center by TJ Maxx. I have a friend who swears by Ruby, which is a chain.

Whitney said...

i'll have to check it out.

do you do HauteLook, Rue La La, etc?
http://www.hautelook.com/index/index/mk/indexf
http://www.ruelala.com/

Runs with Granchildren said...

Daughter: if that's your Christmas list...you're a little late!!
luv
mom

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Nope, not my Christmas list. =)Just a few examples of things that I have or love that make my wardrobe better.