Monday, October 25, 2010

galore

Do you have a band or an album that completely stands the test of time?

Some songs just have what it takes. Seasons Don't Fear the Reaper, for one, which sounds just as great now as it did... um... before I was born. Or November Rain by Guns n' Roses. Or Drain You by Nirvana.

Honestly, I could go on and on. But those are the ones that I know are well over ten years old and still sound just as relevant, right, and wonderful as if they were written last week.

The one that really got me today was Galore, a 1987-1997 compilation album by The Cure.

I was and am a huge Cure fan. From the first Cure song I remember hearing-- which was Close to You off the Mixed Up album-- I was totally hooked. I even went to see the Wild Mood Swings concert in 1996, the day after getting my first tattoo and the week before getting my wisdom teeth removed and therefore having my first drug experience.

That was a really awesome week.

There I was in a black silk dress, fishnet hose, and high-heeled witch boots, fumbling my way through my first heavy eye make-up, going to see The Cure for the first time. I'll never forget the way the crowd stampeded as soon as the first drums started up. I went hoarse begging for them to play Lovecats for one of the fifty encores. When we left, my new tattoo had bled out and was permanently fused to my dress. And I can still see Robert Smith, far away on the stage, just a giant hockey jersey and a shock of inky black hair, swaying with the microphone.

And today, I put that album in the CD player of my SUV and cranked up the volume and rocked out.

Well, as much as one can rock out with two kids in the back asking if it's Axl Rose (4yo) or a helicopter (2yo).

13 years later, Galore is still 100% awesome. It makes me feel just as hopeful and longing and full of passion as it did then. Luckily, I've learned a lot more about fashion and eye-makeup since then.

Robert Smith, wherever you are, you rock.

And I don't mean the Robert Smith with whom I worked at the beeswax candle warehouse, although you were a pretty okay guy, too.

*

What's your forever album, friends?

The one that takes you back, keeps you here, and smacks you upside the head with permanent perfection?

And if anyone mentions Hanson or Vanilla Ice, you're going to get smacked.

11 comments:

James Garcia Jr said...

I love talking about music, Delilah. Thanks for the post. For me, the music changes nearly everyday, but if I had to name a few things it could be 1984 from Van Halen, Standing Hampton by Sammy Hagar, Blizzard of Oz by Ozzy, Blackout by Scorpions, Pyromania by Def Leppard. The list could go on forever.

Anonymous said...

"Rain Dogs" by Tom Waits
"Dr. Funkenstein" by P-funk
"Just as I am" by Bill Withers
"I am the Blues" by Willie Dixon
"The Smith Anthology"
"In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel


And I can always listen to Sam and Dave.

dk said...

Ani Difranco - Not a Pretty Girl
God Street Wine - $1.99 Romances
Moxy Fruvous - Bargainville
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Aerosmith - Pump or Toys in the Attic
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Avett Brothers - You and I and Love
Beatles - White Album
and lots more. Man alive, I love music. ;) Thanks for the detour. Time to fire up itunes and waltz down memory lane!

Anonymous said...

Also Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood*Sugar*Sex*Magic. And Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend. And the Indigo Girls' version of Lovestruck Romeo.

Now I'm getting all nostalgic.

~lazy D., who can't be bothered to sign in to her own blog.

Liam said...

My album is Opheliac by Emilie Autumn. It only came out four years ago and Emilie's coming out with a new one soon but Opheliac is a) my all-time favorite and b) not once have I gotten bored listening to one of its tracks. There's so much history and backstory to each song that I'd just like to sit down and map them all out.

Anonymous said...

I love how only guys have answered this question.

C'mon, chicks. Fess up!

~still D, still lazy

Jewels said...

Definitely the Ten album by Pearl Jam. Many, many defining moments of my teenage life happened while listening to that album. Eddie V's voice is sex personified.

Anonymous said...

I like "Girl Anachronism" by the Dresden Dolls.

urfaqhesse said...

close to your is about a first date. it's one of my favorite songs of all time. there is that amazing horn into version. it makes me happy to just think about it.

the smiths - the queen is dead
black star (the first album)
- urfers - Wien

urfaqhesse said...

close to you*

Janet said...

So, should I keep my opinion to myself if my real answer is something by Olivia Newton-John? Somehow that seems out of place in this list.