Wednesday, June 9, 2010

happy doorbell

After one too many after-school specials in the early 1990's, I began to fear the doorbell. Girl Scouts are the only exception to this rule, because cookie delivery is a BRILLIANT CONCEPT*.

But tonight, when my doorbell rang, a very sweet, creative, thoughtful, and talented second grader brought me these awesome handmade earrings:


Can you think of a more fabulous thank-you gift for art lessons?

Je crois non.

But I'll let you in on a little secret.

It's probably more fun for me than it is for her (and her best friend).

I'll also admit that the first picture didn't turn out so well.



That one didn't really do the earrings justice.

Also, lest you think a housebound mom / writer/volunteer art teacher is the apotheosis of cool**, let me remind you of this:


I enjoy drinking Candy Cane Lane decaf green tea out of the mug I received at high school graduation. You just don't see quality splatter-painting with confetti like that in the aughts.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to finish editing this book. And drink some tea.




* That needs to spread to the world of cupcakes.

* *Anyone who can identify this quote WITHOUT GOOGLE is a certified repository of kickassery, and I SALUTE YOU.


*** Why do I insist on constantly making myself seem lame? It's a bad habit. I am actually very cool and enjoy tooling around Italy on a scooter saying "Ciao".

3 comments:

dk said...

Not sure about the first quote, but I loved the Eddie Izzard reference in the end notes. My confetti covered class of 95 mug is slightly cooler than yours, because it's slightly more antique. Ciao!

K A B L O O E Y said...

Um... class of '82. Way to make me feel ancient. (cheek air kisses)

hotpants™ said...

I wish I had a Class of 1997 mug. I'd drink Coke out of it.