Wednesday, May 26, 2010

WAHOO!

Did you hear that, friends?

That was the sound of a very sleep-deprived, frazzled woman typing 88,000 words and then typing THE END and then closing her laptop before it singed her thighs.

Okay, so maybe before then, she saved it under a different file name, put it on a thumb drive, saved it on the other computer and emailed it to herself. But that's neither here nor there.

After a desperate push-- and with no epidural-- I have managed to squeeze out the first draft of my next book. It's called BLUD, and it's a cross between Outlander and True Blood with just a tad of Buffy swirled in for laughs.

Next, we let it marinate. Then we revise and add. Then we find beta readers. Then we wait on pins and needles, praying they say kind things but knowing the painful things will help, in the long run.

Then, with tingling fingers and manic giggling, we email it to our agent, who is waiting every so patiently.

Then, we apparently go into creepy Golem mode and startss talking about the book like it'sss our precioussssss.

Oh, and in the next couple of days, there will hopefully be celebratory hibachi and cupcakes, because that's how I roll.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to do a little jig and then attempt to complete at least one freakin' dream cycle before I go insane.

Cheers, y'all!

10 comments:

stephanie constantin said...

yay! congrats!

Jennifer said...

What's a beta reader? Is that like someone that just reads it and tells you what they think. If so I'll volunteer. I love Buffy, but admittedly I've never read the other two. I'll probably eventually read the True Blood series. I just have gotten around to it yet.

Jewels said...

Congrats! Sounds like my kind of book. How long before we get to read it? (I have no idea about editors and publishing timelines). I'm thinking it's probably a long time.

Katiri said...

awesome, D!

nova said...

!!


congratulations!

jarvenpa said...

Yay!!! And let me tell you, the word verification is "prince" which is definitely a cosmic sign. Or something.
I kind of thought you were writing and writing and writing.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

Yeah, jarvenpa, this one is for boring old adults, who need at least 80k to get pubbed. That nice, tidy 48k for Scritch seems so sweet and easy now. Not so!

My word verification is detogum. Not sure if that's an omen, and if so, what sort.

The Working Girl said...

Congratulations!!

charissimo said...

Rock and roll, sister!! I have such a love-hate with those unisom nights. Nothing beats the adrenaline that comes with the internal push to write. XO

EttyOop said...

Okay, I'm so putting myself on the list of prospective beta readers (though i won't share this one with the littles!) ;-)

Seriously, though, congrats! I'm so in awe of you. I would love to be able to write, but I hate everything I put on paper and end up erasing the file at the end of the day. YOU, on the other hand, are awesomeness. Good luck with the edits and with the queries and with the whole shebang!

Also, I'd love to read your writery blog again (now that the school year is over and i have time to read :-P), but it tells me i need authorization...