Monday, May 10, 2010

that's good, that's bad, that's Twilight

When I was little, I loved this book called That's Good, That's Bad. It's about a boy and a tiger, and every page has a blah happened - that's good, then blah happened - that's bad. So here's my life, in TGTB format.

I'm really full of energy, excitement, and love for my current book. That's good!

But it means I don't really want to do anything else creative. That's bad!

*

I get at least an hour every night where I can write, and the words flow easily. That's good!

They're not flowing towards this blog. That's bad!

*

My kids are happy and healthy and want my attention to help them learn. That's good!

All I want to do is write my book, and it's hard to write a smoochy scene while a preschooler sings the Ariel song and a toddler pulls on your shirt. That's bad!

*

Today was a lovely spring day, cool and rainy and lazy. That's good!

There are only three more days of preschool. That's bad!

*

There are loads of responsible go-getter girls in my neighborhood who will soon be out of school and looking to babysit. That's good!

I have to talk to strangers, choose one, negotiate dollarz, and clean my house before she can come babysit. That's bad!

*

I feel pretty good today and can almost talk again. That's good!

I spent Mother's Day, and the 3 days before, sick as balls and gargling Nyquil. That's bad!

*

Dr. Krog gave me everything I wanted for Mother's Day: time for a bubble bath, time for a four-hour nap, a clean kitchen, a clean den, and a copy of the New Moon DVD. That's good!

But the clean rooms are already dirty again, and he staunchly refuses to watch New Moon with me. Ever. That's bad!

*

Do you see where I'm going with this? I just want to write. I'm up to 57k words out of a projected 85k, and I am utterly obsessed and compelled by this story. I don't really want to do anything else, and that includes blogging, playing Tinkerbell card games, doing dishes, or sleeping.

So I apologize for the sparseness of the blog lately. Once the major push is over and the first draft is out, I'll go into that lazy recover stage and do some way overdue movie reviews for you.

Any requests?

7 comments:

stephanie constantin said...

totally agree with you on the 3 days of preschool thing!

Jewels said...

Did you watch New Moon yet? I have to say... even though I am obsessed with the books the movie was a little... well.. you let me know what you think.

hotpants™ said...

My hubby watched New Moon with me. He's still not a huge fan, but he thought it was better than Twilight.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

C'mon, people. You know I saw it in the theater. I'm a complete dork, and I'll see anything with vampires. And, yes, that includes Blade 3.

I thought it was much better than Twilight, directing-wise, but I believe both the book and movie suffer from 2nd child syndrome, just like HP and the Chamber of Secrets. They feel like filler to me, like the characters are ram-rodded to the ending. Like a bridge to get the the 3rd book, which is 50 times better.

But, yeah, when Dr. Krog snuck in while I was napping and put it on, and I woke up to it, I was like, "HULL YEEEUH", in the immortal words of Ta'quil from Frisky Dingo. I did, in fact, get on the bus.

Twinky said...

So here you have it – what’s your Sex Peeves?

Delilah S. Dawson said...

Yay! Sexxxy spam!

And here I am, too lazy to switch gmail accounts and delete it. Ho hum.

Of course, the question is how Twinky managed to find my little old post about writing and motherhood to post her link to sex peeves. Srsly. That sounds like a lot of work.

Jessica said...

Blade 3 was the shit, I don't care what anyone says. Totally agree with you on New Moon being much better directorily...is that a word? Love your blog, it rocks.