1. I wrote a giant squid attack into my WIP. If I could make out with that book, I totally would.
2. I was listening to Airborne Toxic Event recently, which everyone should do because their music is HEARTBREAKINGLY MINDBENDINGLY AWESOME, and the guy was singing about running away and doing mescaline and getting drunk, and I kept thinking, "Oh, how swoony/dark/romantic! Artists are so tortured and deep and passionate!"
And then I remembered what that was actually like in real life. In college, the lead singer of the band was totally cute and all the adjectives listed above, but then you got up close, and he was either a mindless, stylish hotbot or the sort of dude who would go through your purse and take your laundry quarters to buy strawberry daiquiri flavored Boone's Farm and then try to make out with your roommate because his horoscope told him to.
In music? So pretty. In real life? Thank heavens I don't have to date.
3. If you haven't heard of Airborne Toxic Event (song 7), The Hush Sound (Like Vines, song 6 and 8), and Vampire Weekend (anything), please go purchase them. I haven't been this excited about music since I found Brand New.
4. Whenever I shop at Aldi, I get back to my car and feel like I've been assaulted.* It's just such a fast, dirty, violent sort of shopping experience. Does anyone else feel this way? And their generic soymilk is heavy on the soy, low on the milk.
5. If you're writerly or into writing or enjoy signed books, check out the auctions at Do the Write Thing for Nashville, from which all of the proceeds will be donated to helping flood victims of my neighboring state, where I once rode a camel. I offered up a custom piece of book character art, so that will hopefully be up soon.
6. I'm currently reading Peeps by Scott Westerfeld, and it's so freakin' good that I went to the gym for the first time in (uh, way too long) just so that I could read it in peace. Yes, while barreling on the treadmill at 4mph. I even got new sneaks, which I would show you, but I can't find the camera. They're by LA Gear, which warms the 80's cockles of my cold, black heart.
Seriously, though. This is the 5th book I've read by Mr. Westerfeld, and everything he does is solid gold. He compared being run over by a herd of wild rats to receiving an Astroturf massage, which has endeared him to me for life. Quick, incisive, delightful writing.
7. Somehow, I ended up with another blasted box of Peanut Butter Panda Bumpers. But don't worry-- I'm going to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Don't you worry your pretty little head.
8. Have you tried the coconut milk they're now selling alongside soy milk and almond milk? It's good, and it's good for me, but it kinda tastes like somebody dumped a pina colada in my Panda Bumpers.
9. Today, the Biscuit asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. "An artist and a writer," I said. "But Mama, you already ARE a artist and a writer," she said, rolling her eyes. And I was like, "I KNOW. IT'S TOTALLY AWESOME." And then I hugged her, and she asked me to buy her a new magic wand.
10. Mmm. Panda Bumpers.
*In case anybody gets all up in arms, I've actually been assaulted. But they didn't take my sense of humor, dammit.