Thursday, March 25, 2010

i he(art) g-force

One of my very favorite people in the world asked me to teach an art class for local at-risk teens.

I'm a bit of an idiot, so I said no.



It just sounded like such a pain-- find someone to watch my kids, drive 45 minutes on highways, come up with projects, get involved with a group I'm not trained to counsel.

But you know what? She signed me up anyway. I had no choice. I had to show up.



That's why I love Nelah so much. She knows me better than I do.

And I am so, so thankful that she got me involved. Teaching these girls is amazing, inspiring, and healing. Despite hardships, they are bright and hopeful and friendly, and they are all talented artists. We've had three classes together in which we've done origami, life drawing, acrylic painting on canvas, and large, primitive art combined with their own words, which you're seeing here

. Next week, we're doing clay.



If you live near Marietta, GA, the gallery opening to showcase their extraordinary work will be held Monday, April 12 from 7 to 9pm at The Art Place - Mt. View on Sandy Plains Road. Their artwork and journals will be on display, and I can't wait to celebrate their accomplishments.

3 comments:

Runs with Granchildren said...

My daughter, you are amazing, as always; I am so very proud of you and you're continual accomplishments!
heart
mom

Beth said...

Fabulous! Love the primitives. I am sure the girls will treasure these classes.

K A B L O O E Y said...

Most exciting, most rewarding teaching I ever did was teaching filmmaking to teenage (self-described) misfits. They had SO MUCH to say and produced great, raw work. Loved giving them a new way to express it and loved letting them know life gets easier after high school and that they'd be fine. Just seeing them recognize kindred spirits in each other was worth the long hours.