Friday, January 22, 2010

in which I-- yes, me--- am speechless.

Utterly freakin' speechless, people.

When I slid into that booth at Thumb's Up Diner today, I noticed that the dude in the next booth with his back to me was mighty cool. I mean, he was wearing a kickass hat, and the back of his head simply exuded awesomeness.

Then he stuck out his foot to leave, and I thought, "Wow, that is one stylish dude. I wonder if I should compliment him on being tremendously stylish and cool?"

Then he stood up, and I thought, "He's good looking, too. Fascinating bone structure."

And then I thought:

HOLY MOTHERLOVIN' SHIZZLE! THAT'S FREAKIN' ANDRE BENJAMIN! I'M BREATHIN' THE SAME AIR AS ANDRE 3000 OF OUTKAST! HIS MOVIE IDLEWILD SENT ME INTO LABOR! ANDRE BENJAMIN IS IN MY HOME TOWN, SPREADING HIS MOLECULES OF RADITUDE AROUND MY CHICKEN FINGERS!

And then Andre Benjamin nodded and smiled at us, and I was completely speechless.

I gave him my brightest, dumbest, most amazed smile. The smile reserved only for my wedding day, really handsome draft horses, and slices of that certain red velvet cake from that little bakery in Athens.

And then he got in his Range Rover and drove into history, one of only two celebrities I've ever seen in person. That is, if you count that time that I stood behind wrestler Goldberg on the escalator and tried to figure out if his neck was bigger than my waist.

I love you, Andre 3000.

Thanks for smiling at me and deciding to eat eggs today.

12 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

Wow, gosh, his influence even made my day!

Jimmy Franconi said...

Wait one second, missy. Didn't you also see both Whitney AND Bobby at Kroger?

Caroline D. said...

I totally ran into him at Phipps Plaza a while ago with my friend Sara. I took a picture of her and him in some weird men's store. He was all alone there on a Friday night. And was TOTALLY RAD AND HOT.

the best part is that photo showed up on my phone whenever Sara called from then on.

Southern Belle Mama said...

This is completely awesome!

leigh said...

When I live in ATL my roommate worked at Ralph Lauren at Lenox. Andre and Big Boi would shop there all the time. She called me to come up there one evening because both of them were in the store. It was hilarious. They had dressed up in "disguises" so that they could shop unbothered. Andre 3000 was wearing pastel golf pants, an old lady's floral robe, a visor, and black rimmed glasses.

Clearly they called more attention to themselves. It was pretty crazy to witness.

Anyday that you bump into Andre is a good day.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

No, Jimmy, that was probably Sara. Whitney and Bobby have had many the late-night fight at the Publix near her old house.

Besides, they don't count, because they suck. And then I'd go lookin' for hand sanitizer so I wouldn't get hep B or something.

Virginia Valerie said...

OMG that's so rad! Yay!

Alissa said...

Very cool. My sister still talks about the time she swears that she saw Janet Jackson at Newark airport at 5 a.m. There are a lot of factors that make question the validity of her story.

miss. chief said...

Rad! I love that guy. He really is the epitome of cool.

mamamilkers said...

Wow. Wow. WOW!!! I am sure Matt and I would have just died. Very, very cool.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

Yeah, one always hopes one will be suave and strike up a totally cool conversation, but I just goggled at him like a goldfish. I guess that's better than fainting or drooling, though.

hotpants™ said...

I'm still waiting to meet a famous person. Waiting...

I love Andre 3000. That's so cool.