Tuesday, December 22, 2009

crackin' nuts



Hey, Biscuit?




Are you ready to see your first ballet?



Yes, I know. I just bought them for you at Target, along with that snazzy dress. I wanted your first ballet to be exciting and memorable, full of magic and glitter and beauty.

What do you think so far?



I know, buddy. And they're great, and I'm excited for you. But I want to talk about seeing the Nutcracker with you. I remember the first time I saw it, when my whole class got on a big, yellow school bus and drove downtown to the Fox Theater. It was amazing. Act One was a little slow, but Act Two was phenomenal.

But this local production is pretty fabulous,
don't you think?




Tell me about it.

But what about the ballet? You spend all day in a leotard and ballet shoes, dancing and waving your "stretchy legs", forcing me to read books about ballerinas, making me promise you can reallyreally take ballet classes in January, putting different magnetic ballet costumes on your stand-up wooden Tina Ballerina doll, and generally drenching my life with the color pink.

So are you having fun?



Yeah, you're not really supposed to do that, especially since we're in the front row. But, whatever, I want you to enjoy yourself, and no one can really see you because you're only three feet tall. Just don't sing along, okay?

Anyway, now that it's over,
what did you think about your first ballet?



That's about what I expected.

Jokes aside, she was totally rapt throughout the entire show and has been asking me questions about the story and dances ever since. She's still dead-set on taking ballet lessons in January, and she has three leotards under the tree. Our first trip to the ballet was a complete success, and I hope it's the start of a new tradition. Thanks, Axelssons, for inviting us!

As for my tiny dancer, I can only hope she has inherited Dr. Krog's ballet-friendly metabolism.

Although she's also asked about cheerleading.

4 comments:

Eoywin said...

Those shoes are very shiny :D

RosyRevolver said...

I just spit out some cider from laughing so hard. Sounds very much (er, in some ways) like conversations I have with my son.

I'm glad it was a success!! She looks perfectly scrumptious in her dress and sparkle-shoes.

Merry Christmas!

Alicia Istanbul said...

That was so funny! :) (I feel like my comments on your blog are so redundant. Everything you write is "so funny". Can you teach me how to write better blog comments in the New Year?)

Glad the Biscuit had fun at the ballet. I don't think mine would sit still for 2 minutes.

hotpants™ said...

I remember a field trip to see The Nutcracker. I haven't seen it in many years.