Friday, November 20, 2009

two serious questions (no, really!)

Here's a new one: I'm going to answer two serious questions that I found by following the White Rabbit from Twitter to more Twitter to a Chicken Bandit to here. Of course, my answers to two serious questions involve how I no longer take anything seriously, but you should expect that by now.

If you have a blog, I double dog dare you to answer these questions and link up in the comments, as I'm interested in hearing your responses.


***

1. What do you know to be true, unquestionably beyond doubt, certain with every cell of your being, completely, passionately, righteously certain?

That things work out for the best. That fathomless hope is rewarded. That being happy is the best revenge. That even bad art is better than no art. That passion gives life meaning. That living in the moment makes me happier than living in the past or the future. That taking a bath every night before bed is marvelous. That I believe in the infinite goof. That laughter can't help but help.


2. What was the dumbest thing that you used to believe?

That everything mattered or meant something. That art and literature were worthless unless they were constantly plumbing the tragic depths of the human soul. That everything was serious and dramatic. Now I subscribe to Tom Robbins:

I believe in nothing; everything is sacred. I believe in everything; nothing is sacred.

And I'm a lot happier


How about y'all?

4 comments:

Ericka said...

I read this post late last night and came back today to read what I thought would be a bunch of interesting comments and saw none. Then I decided to add my own and got 3 words in before the kids pulled me away. Now I come back a few hours later and you have already posted anew and lamented the fact that nobody responded to this...so I will add my meager 2 cents now.

I know for all certainty that you can always change your life.

The dumbest thing I used to believe was that I was not meant to fall in love.

Alicia Istanbul said...

I like this post.

I believe that you can manifest your life's dreams with the power of positive thinking, determination, and action. It's all possible if you really want it.

I used to believe that I needed everyone to like me. Now I don't care so much.

I'm going to blog about this this week.

urfaqhesse said...

Couldn't agree more - once i began to see the world this way, i was thankful for every day, even the crappy ones. I still cringe at my past self at times, but then I look at that Ryan, and he gives me that grimace-face of his and asks me why i smell and alls well. I know I must have done something right.

Lisa in Oz said...

"That art and literature were worthless unless they were constantly plumbing the tragic depths of the human soul."

Amen, sister! ;-) I think I was the only fine art student in my graduating class that didn't believe this. I created art because I loved it, needed it, wanted it. It wasn't always a commentary on man's inhumanity to man, and that was OK with me. Not so OK for my fellow students and professors though...