Wednesday, November 25, 2009

truth in blogvertising


I've been roaming 'round the web, trying to find tips on spiffing up my "serious author" blog. The problem is that while I'm serious about writing and getting published, I'm simply not a serious person, nor do I write serious books. I'm a hard worker who meets deadlines and is very professional, but I somehow manage to simultaneously be a complete goof.

It's a difficult sentiment to express via the first 4 seconds of blog-browsing.

The banner up there is my current favorite.

But here are some runners-up in the contest for "how to express myself as a not-serious serious writer of not-serious books that will make serious dollarz".

First up, the shmoozy one:




If that doesn't hook 'em, I'll compare myself to other writers and trends:




If they're still not biting, let's try the unexpected. Complete honesty.



On the other end of the spectrum, it can be good to stand out:



Although I've heard threats can often backfire int he publishing world. Maybe I should have gone with zombies there.

They like zombies.

Lastly, for the 100% truth in advertising set:


Sadly, desperation rarely works.

Onwards and upwards, friends. Once this little parasite is safely asleep, I'm on to page 8 of my new book, working title SCRITCH.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up, Missy.

This is why we're still friends. We're both hilarious. Especially me.

Erin said...

I wish I had a sense of humor! Yours is great. Love all of these!

One Cluttered Brain said...

thanks for the giggle. Yeah, I am a writer too. just doing nano for now and doing book reviews for ppl. I LOVE writing.

I like the LAST banner...BUY MY BOOK, BUY MY BOOK...Clever...desperation...HA! :D

Virginia Valerie said...

OMG the pirate one made me laugh so hard!!! I like the other ones too.

RosyRevolver said...

Maybe combine a few of those brilliant banners and create one that includes a reference to a possessed penis?

Wait, was that was redundant?

I just KNOW in my heart of hearts that 2010 will be your year, lady! I'll be first in line at the first book signing.

Happy Thanksgiving Delilah . . .

teena said...

I like the 2nd one ;)

Caroline D. said...

I vote for honesty. but someday write under a pen name, because I want to see what a Delilah book full of penis is like.

Anonymous said...

Oh Carrie, that's just too easy...

jarvenpa said...

Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but I think maybe your mom knows about penises.
Because I'm about the age of your mom, I'd bet (or maybe older). And...um, they were around back in the day, really they were.