Sunday, November 29, 2009

TheTA momita el grande


I was tagged by the lovely Leigh over at Leigh vs. Laundry to participate in the Theta Mom challenge. The ancient legends say that "Theta Moms, The True, Authentic Moms. [The-T-A] are authentic because we live authentic lives. Life isn’t perfect and neither are our kids."

According to the rules, I now offer five reasons that I am a TheTA Mom.

1. I live an authentic life. I have a happy marriage with a man respect, admire, and love to torture with garden gnomes. I have two marvelous children who make me laugh until albino coffee comes out of my nose on a daily basis. I visit my parents and my grandparents and make time to play with my friends. I paint paintings and write novels in between diapers and making peanut butter sammiches. I lead a life of duty entwined with passion.

2. I'm an authentic mom. I try to wear my faults on my sleeve and avoid putting on airs. I never fart in front of company. If anyone thinks my nose ring is magnetic, they're welcome to give it a tug. I'll tell you just about anything, from the stories of my kids' births to the most embarrassing moment(s) of my life. Most of my purses come from Target, and most of my jewelry comes from Etsy.

3. My life isn't perfect. I woke up this morning and snarked at my husband and kid, then apologized and blamed creative fervor. My son went to bed with pears in his hair. My dining room is clean only because I moved everything in it into my studio, and now I'm trying to find a different room to store my amassed crap where I won't have to see it as much. I'm not always happy with my body. My car is usually a mess. And I don't even go by my legal name.

4. My kids aren't perfect. My older child wears a dirty leotard that's a size too small for 95% of her time at home. My younger child likes to take off his socks and toss them in the car, so he's often barefoot, which isn't horrible for a 1 year old, but old ladies still give me hell. Neither of them wants to go to sleep tonight, and I'm letting my husband take care of that while I blog.

5. I can cook a whole turkey, all by myself.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks, Leigh!

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

I like your list. I was tagged to do this a while back and I still haven't done it because I'm not sure what to write.

Erin said...

I think you're a fabulous THETA Mom. I did this a few weeks ago and have been interested in seeing others' lists.

We THETA moms need to stick together!

Southern Belle Mama said...

Thanks for sharing your list. I think there are a whole lot of TheTA moms out there, but many try to hide it simply to keep up appearances. If we'd all just cut ourselves a little slack, I think the "mom guilt" would decrease by 100%!

PS: My 7mo old girl is always barefoot. The looks from those little old ladies are priceless, it completely offends them for some reason.

RosyRevolver said...

Oh, thank God someone else out there is real. Loved this post!! : )

charissimo said...

I've never been as terrified as when I took my son, who was 8 months old at the time, to my grandmother's retirement home. Old ladies can really get up in your face when they think a baby needs another layer!

Betsy B. Honest said...

This is cute and I like it.

But who are these inauthentic moms we must rally against? Who claims to be a perfect mom with perfect kids? I've never met one. Do I just hang out at the right places or something?

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Betsy, I have to say that here in the southern suburbs, I run into a lot of moms I'd consider inauthentic, who consider themselves perfect and look down on those who make non-mainstream choices. I've fielded snarky comments and been snobbed out of social circles.

Fortunately, I no longer care, as I've been lucky enough to surround myself with other authentic womenfolks.

Miss Dot said...

Oh this list makes you the most authentic woman ever! BTW, I'm stealing your use of the word "snark." I like it :)

leigh said...

You are so awesome. This is why I tagged you to do this little Theta mom exercise. I knew that you would deliver the goods.

Leigh

Alicia Istanbul said...

That's awesome. Your house sounds like my house.

Anonymous said...

TESTICLES!!!