Monday, November 30, 2009

rewarding my wording

I don't know if you guys have picked up on this yet, but I thrive on rewards.

When I was a kid, a report card studded with A's earned me a trip to Red Lobster for all-I-could-cram popcorn shrimp, which earned me two hours of agony in the bathroom. But it was so worth it. Still is. Mmmm. Shrimp.

And when I grew so old that my parents ceased to reward me, I took on the challenge of rewarding myself.

I'm really good at it, actually.

When I reached my first post-partum goal weight of 150 pounds, I bought this amazing necklace by my friend Alice of Alicia Istanbul Designs:


I wear it for approximately 50% of my waking time, and it reminds me of satisfaction. The satisfaction of fitting into smaller jeans, actually.

Then I started writing FERRYTALE, the book that I'm now trying to publish. I always wanted to write a book and never thought I would. When I hit 100 pages, I forced Dr. Krog to take me out for Mexican food and margaritas and a slice of cake. That felt really, really good. Finishing the book was actually pretty anticlimactic after that.

And today, I'm rewarding myself again. I hit page 50 of my new book, working title SCRITCH, and I decided to buy a necklace I've been ogling for a while by polishedtwo on Etsy.


I already have a gorgeous pottery shard necklace from this shop, and I adore it.

This piece speaks to me on several levels, and I plan on wearing it like a jersey while I barrel through this book.

I'm also working on another custom piece from Istanbul Designs, because handmade jewelry is a great motivator. Maybe it'll be ready about the time I finish Scritch, and then it will ignite my querying with the holy fire of awesomeness and propel me into publishing.

Maybe.

And in case you're wondering, when I actually sell a book, I definitely plan on rewarding myself. I want to transform my art studio/storage room into a writing and relaxing room. Built-in bookshelves, Ikea chairs, a soft rug, and a desk that wasn't purchased from the Athens, GA Goodwill for $5.

That's my dream.

6 comments:

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

Good for you for rewarding yourself! I always buy myself a birthday present...that sounds so LAME!!! LOL!

Alicia Istanbul said...

Ohhh!! Your rewards to yourself are sooo good! And I'm not just saying that because a couple of them happen to be from me ;)

psst: (thank you for coming to me for sterling treats, and also for calling me Alice).

Maven said...

I love your style! The visual of you barreling your way through the book with the necklace as armour made me smile.

And huge props to your goal weight achievement. It's been 18 years for me and I'm still working on that last forty pounds ;)

Tater Tot Mom said...

It's good to reward yourself for all those fabulous accomplishments. You deserve it!

I just finished NaNoWriMo so I'm still searching for a way to reward myself for that!

RosyRevolver said...

A great dream for sure!! And all beautiful rewards, well deserved. Many more rewards on the horizon, my friend! : )

K a b l o o e y said...

I like your taste in jewelry, and now I get to procrastinate by checking out those sites. Good for you -- reward yourself for these big accomplishments. I love the title "scritch"; Ann Lamott used the word to describe the onomatopoetic sound of her newborn son's fingernails scratching his crib. It's a perfect word.