Tuesday, November 24, 2009

a little day called hokomo


Today, the Biscuit invented her own holiday.

I guess she got so sick of me rejecting the name "Omla" for everything from our new fish to the calico cat in the street to her brother's toy car that she had to stake out her imaginative territory.

Let me tell you about Hokomo Day.

Hokomo is pronounced a lot like "Kokomo", the song from Cocktail that we used to sing in fifth grade to annoy the gym teacher. Remember when Tom Cruise was a hot young star and not a crazed religious-alien midget?

But that's not important now. You need to know about Hokomo Day.

* Hokomo Day celebrates running, jumping, and sometimes spinning around.

* The official food of Hokomo Day is green Goldfish crackers.

* Presents are given on Hokomo Day, and those presents are umbrellas.

*Hokomo Day is in late Spring-- June 20, to be exact. But it happens next week.

You are now prepared to observe Hokomo Day. Go forth and spin around or something, but not while holding your Hokomo umbrella, and not after eating a bunch of green Goldfish, because I'm pretty sure putrid green vomit and poked out eyeballs are not part of the revelry.

4 comments:

K a b l o o e y said...

Sounds a lot more fun than Festivas, the "holiday for the rest of us" that George's father invented. I'd rather spin around than engage in feats of strength, and I'd rather give and get umbrellas than an aluminum pole.
The Biscuit's on to something. But lets try not to tell Hallmark, because they have a way of sucking the soul out of a good holiday. PS: my tot's been making up names, singing in gibberish and generally amusing herself in this manner for a few months now.

urfaqhesse said...

I just had a flashback of the Biscuit saying to me, at the ripe age of 1 and 1/2, "I have a big vocabulary", and then hiding behind your legs. Later that day, she and I would share pepperoni pizza, pieces of which I passed to her under the table.

I heart that girl.

Southern Belle Mama said...

No.1-Glad to know June is coming next week. I like warmer weather better.
No. 2-Any holiday where you eat goldfish will be loved by all kids.
Nice one Biscuit!

Miss Dot said...

Hokomo, huh? Geez, I really need to start writing these holidays down. It's funny because I just got done reading this post from Three A's and a C about funny national holidays. Perhaps I should let her know there's a new one to add to the list...?