Wednesday, November 18, 2009

in which i weep

From time to time, I think about the Acknowledgments page of my book, which is totally going to get published, because an agent is going to email me... now. Or maybe... NOW. Or maybe if I turn around and don't really think about it, and then go check on the roast and make sure the kids are breathing, and...

...NOW!

Nope. Dangit.

Anyways, I think about how much fun it will be to thank all the people who have helped me along the way. My beta readers, my family, you guys. But one of the first batters on my all-star team is The Coffee Park, a marvelous coffee shop where they provide moms like me with delicious coffee and tea while entertaining our children.

Except now, it's "provided", as in past tense, as in today was mysteriously their last day.

And we have no idea why. The owners slyly deflected that question again and again, nodding conspiratorially at the shady foursome taking up the comfy chairs and heatedly discussing a folder full of paper. New owners? New franchise?

We don't know.

What we do know is that with practically no notice, our favorite hangout is closing indefinitely. The sweet girls in the Treehouse who know our children, know their favorite books, and can even determine whose socks are whose... those sweet girls are out of jobs. My favorite chai latte will disappear into the ether. I will have to relocate my monthly babywearing meeting to some other, less wonderful place where both of my children can be contained while I pontificate. And I can never ever get pregnant again, because I won't be able to hand my kids off when I'm 36 weeks along and at the scream-till-you-pee point and just want to read Breaking Dawn and drink some tea in peaceful silence, dadblastit.

I am distraught.

I was looking forward to the line in my Acknowledgments, something along the lines of:

Many thanks to Roy, Kate, Jill, and the wonderful girls of the Treehouse at The Coffee Park in Marietta, Georgia, without whom this book would never have stretched past 40 pages or gone through six (or more) edits. Thank you for providing a magical haven for busy moms to rediscover themselves and each other while our children are happily distracted.

So I'm saying it now. Thanks, guys. You did me a great service, and I will miss you.

11 comments:

Jamie said...

I hate change... poor you....

Alicia Istanbul said...

I'm so sad to read this.

Virginia Valerie said...

So sorry to hear about your haven closing down. That place sounded legendary.

Janet said...

I'd never heard of this place until reading your post, and now that I'm aware of it, I am officially devastated that it's closed.

Seriously, this is a GENIUS idea. Why didn't somebody think of it sooner? Why aren't there franchises in every city?!

I sincerely sympathize with your loss.

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

That is a great post. I wish we had a place like that here.

Miss Dot said...

Oh no! How sad! I'm sorry you lost such a safe haven :( I hope they all know what they meant to you!

leigh said...

Marietta? I'm just a skip away from you in Athens! I have heard of this Treehouse place but thought that it was just a myth. It sounded too good to be true.

I'm sorry that you're losing it!

Leigh

RosyRevolver said...

I'm so sorry lady. We have a place like that here, and it would break me apart to see it close down.

Yet another reason to get to Atlanta. Sounds like there's a serious need for a Girl's Night in that town.

Hang tough, sister! xo

K a b l o o e y said...

Oh my god, what a loss. I want to wear a black babysling around the house in sympathy, that place sounds so great.

I guess waiting for the return email has replaced sitting by the phone. Do teenagers even know what that phrase means anymore? I hope they call and I hope you find a new meeting/kid-watching spot.
(If not, hang 'em by their belt loops on some wall hooks and let the meetings continue.)

Caroline D. said...

sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks
sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks

Leslie said...

IT NEVER FAILS! It's like the good people, gone to soon... Thanks for sharing it with us.