Saturday, November 21, 2009

dreams 4 sale!


So yesterday, I asked a deep and probing question, and the overwhelming response was...

Nothing.

Which is totally cool. This isn't really a "deep and probing" sort of blog. So today, I'm going to ask for advice instead and hope that you guys will boss me around.

See, my art studio is a mess. Half-finished paintings, old paintings, materials, doodads that would work well in collages that I'll never do. I need to clean out, re-organize, and make it a place where art can be made, books can be written, and dreams can come true. I have this mental image of bare walls, Ikea chairs, and built-in bookshelves. Mmmm.

So here's my question: What do I do with all the old artz?

Should I store it? Sell it? Whitewash it and repaint? Should I have some sort of studio sale or take the time to put them up on Etsy, or what? Shipping would be egregious for the bigger ones, so local is better. But I want it out. I'm just not big on holding on to the past, and I need the space.

Here's one wall:



Here's another wall:


Our college degrees are not for sale. Not for all the bottles of Goldschlauger in the world.


Studies, Etsy-type stuff, playing around, leftovers. All sorts of stuff from about 2000 to now. I went through a very colorful period for a while there.

Ideas? What would you do with all this art?

And please don't mention fire. That would make me a sad panda.

p.s. That first painting, the oil of me screaming, is called "Underneath All This Suburban Tranquility, I Am Fierce".

p.p.s. If you only come here for the gratuitous baby shots, here you go. Mr. Chipmunk Cheeks turns 1 on Monday. This time last year, I was feeling pretty weird and preparing to force down some chicken wings and go to sleep. And then it was all SPLOOSH!, and then we were at the hospital, and then I was all UUUGGGHHH!, and then there was t.rex.

p.p.p.s. If you commented earlier and your comment disappeared, or if you seem to remember something entirely different appearing in this post, you're crazy. CRAZY!*

* Or Dr. Krog may have decided that I was revealing too many personal details about our life and asked me to remove said personal details, which I graciously did. Anyway, here's the baby.




20 comments:

charissimo said...

I didn't answer your serious questions because your answers were already way better than mine.

Mmmm.... Goldschlauger.

Would your local schools be grateful recipients of your donated artwork? My husband teaches 8th grade and we've pestered many of our local artist friends and relatives to donate to the worthy cause of brightening up his room. It's worked like a charm!

thatgirlblogs said...

sell and buy new canvases etc when you have space again.

Anonymous said...

Sell it to your best friend from High School! He'll be in town in Dec. with a car, so plenty of room. Then the art can see the world.

Cara and Jenn said...

Have a local holiday art show...I haev someone in my area that paints and has an art show around this time every year. YOu could start something for yourself...good luck
Cara

Becca said...

send some of it to your niece in savannah.

as an early christmas gift. or a late birthday gift. or just 'cause you need the space and she wants pretty art for her college dorm, even though she hasn't been accepted anywhere yet. :'D

Alissa said...

I second your niece in Savannah's idea. Gift giving seems like a very good idea. You could save money on Christmas gifts, and your recipients will be grateful, unless they are weird and annoying and would prefer some mass-produced crap. I love to receive artwork as presents.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

See, if it were exciting new work, I'd be all for an open house. I know several artists who have wonderful get-togethers like that. But this is old work that feels... old... to me. Not fresh.

But maybe I could have a playgroup, and invite local moms and kids to drop in. Because in addition to all the stuff on the walls, I have all the bellies from Little Worlds, and mermaids from Hunger, and then I have all the kids' clothes and stuff that I didn't get to consign, and maybe I could do henna...

I am starting to develop a plan.

BreadBox said...

Eight years ago a local artist decided he wanted to do a major series -- a piece for each person who died on 9/11 -- and his wife explained that if that were to happen, he had to empty several thousand pieces out of his basement. He put an announcement up on a local arts mailing list, and gave it all away.
I like Charissimmo's suggestion of donating it to schools though.

Amber Page Writes said...

donating it would be an awfully great thing to do... But how about giving them to places you wouldn't normally see art - nursing homes, homeless shelters, stuff like that.

It might brighten someone's day.

Alicia Istanbul said...

I'm a local mom.

Sybil said...

Or donate some to nursing homes?

At any rate, I would love to seem some more of these close-up! Is that an owl on the bottom?!?

Heather said...

First of all, happy birthday to your t. Rex from one af the people he shares his his birthday with! Yay for the growing boy!

Secondly, if you've got some artz that feature cobalt blue as a major color (it looked like you did) that wouldn't be too heinous to ship to OK, drop me an email, please. I've been looking at yourstuff for a while, looking for the right pieceand have been close a time or two...

Thanks!

Miss Dot said...

I agree on the donating/selling/finding new homes for your artz. Don't let your beautiful work get covered up! The playgroup thing sounds nifty.

Casey said...

I like the playgroup idea. Invite me, I'd come! ;)

Caroline D. said...

I can has painting? I'll buy one off you. Show me round the gallery this week and let's make a deal.

urfaqhesse said...

we want several. SEVERAL -

"Sell it to your best friend from High School! He'll be in town in Dec. with a car, so plenty of room. Then the art can see the world."

Kristi said...

Why yes, I *would* like to come to your playgroup art show! Thanks!

Happy birthday, little guy. :)

hotpants™ said...

That's an awful lot of artwork to just get rid of. I'd think of a way to sell it.

urfaqhesse said...

btw, just went through the collection and picked about 5 i want.

kristin said...

aww, I wish I lived closer, I'd love some of your beautiful artwork!! I already have a unicorn painted on a page of a book :)

and t. rex is ADORABLE!!!