Tuesday, September 8, 2009

who else but the biscuit?

"Honey, let me get a picture of you
with your new Build-A-Bear puppy
that Isabel gave you for your birthday!"


*

"You need socks to wear those shoes, buddy. Can you find some socks?
Oh, good gravy. Excellent outfit. Now smile for the camera!"



Don't look at me. I told her to smile.
I don't know what she was going for,
except maybe "I'm thrilled to have pooped a wet wipe".

*

We had one of those days where the timing was all wrong, all of our plans went awry, we never made it to the playground, we never got to play with friends, and I chose to spend the day cleaning house instead of playing the Biscuit's favorite game, which is "Constant, Undivided Attention".

She showed her displeasure with 78 temper tantrums and the grand announcement,

"Mommy, I don't like you,
and you clean too much,
and I wish t.rex would go live with grandma!"

So I just hugged her and reminded her that not one of those statements was even close to being true.

Tomorrow is preschool. I can't wait.

*

Days like today remind me that no matter how much we love our children, we have to remember that they are human beings, and no two human beings in the entire world like each other 100% of the time. I don't believe in raising children who are happy every second of every day, although that would be wonderful. I believe in raising children who know that they are loved but understand that life has ups and downs. You aren't always the big winner. You're not going to be great at everything you try, but ambition and perseverance can get you far. You have to follow certain rules, and you don't always get a choice. Everyone has to share and wait and work and clean, and you don't always get your way.

And you can't pick up your brother and throw him when he tries to touch your tricycle.

But if you're the Biscuit, you can damned well try.

5 comments:

Virginia Valerie said...

I have this feeling that she is going to turn out just like you. Call it intuition. ;-)

Cleo's Nina said...

You have NAILED the definition of a Good Parent: To teach your child how the real world is and how to live in it responsibly. Great job, my child.
luv
mom

Alicia Istanbul said...

Great post.

PS. I couldn't stop laughing at her little eyeball looking out of the peephole, lol :)

faemom said...

I love this post. I think you're a wonderful mom. And I always think after a day like that tomorrow HAS to be better.

Caroline D. said...

HAHAHA the Biscuit is always going to try, huh? Gotta admire her...