Monday, September 7, 2009

columbian occasion


"It's a nice, sunny day, isn't it mama?" asked the Biscuit, her eyes pleading for freedom and fun. I had to admit that it was indeed a lovely day. Not quite fallish, but just cool enough to not reek of summer. Just the right kind of day for a Columbian Occasion, otherwise known as a trip to American Adventures, which is like a cross between Six Flags and those mangy fairs that set up in the parking lots of exsanguinated malls. Cheap, colorful, relatively safe.

The Biscuit loves riding those balloons, so long as she's in the purple one. Purple is very important to her.

She also enjoyed the teacups, which was her first solo ride. Again, notice the purple.


You know what she didn't like, though, despite all her hopes and dreams and love of going fast and bumpy and being a tough big kid?

The roller coaster. Luckily, it only went around the track four times, because she was starting to consider barfing or crying riiiiight when it stopped.


I liked it fine. Just like I did when I was 12. Because I'm ridiculously easy to please.

But what about this guy?


Cool photo, whatever you were doing, Dr. Krog. We were going pretty fast at the time.

We also rode big rigs, a ferris wheel of Connestoga wagons, and the balloons again. We briefly considered the Tilt-a-Whirl, and then we thought about what I'd look like covered in raspberry oatmeal and cheese grits, and we went somewhere else.

Dr. Krog and the Biscuit enjoyed some Super sliding, too.


And then they played in the Foam Factory together, and then I surprised them with 8 arcade tokens, which doesn't go as far as moms from the 1980's think it will. They managed to win 24 tickets by playing skee-ball and Whack-A-Button-That-Pops-Balls-Into-A-Bulldog's-Mouth, which must have been invented by someone who graduated from Georgia Tech. The Biscuit had her first Arcade Shopping experience and chose two ghetto-bling "$" rings, about which she has been singing non-stop for two hours.


"I have two rings! I have two rings! I finally finally fiiiii-naaaaa-leeeee have two rings!"

It's amazing how far $25 goes in filling a child's day with joy and memories. Plus, of course, the memories for Dr. Krog and me. And t.rex probably enjoyed all the noise and colors. And the photos. And the blog fodder.

Dude, what a freakin' bargain!



p.s. My husband is hott.

10 comments:

Motherhood Uncensored said...

Where is this place you speak of?

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

http://www.americanadventuresfunpark.com/

It's on Cobb Parkway in Marietta. Right next to the dreaded White Water.

Motherhood Uncensored said...

Oh. Dude. I ran there this morning. On my 10K.

PS It looks super old skool. Love it!

Alicia Istanbul said...

It looks like you guys had the best day ever. And the Biscuit went on a ride all by herself? Does that mean mine will be doing that by next summer already? I don't know if I'm ready for such a milestone yet.

I may not like blogs very much, but I sure love yours.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with White Water? Heard great things...

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

1. I've heard from other moms that it's getting "a bit thuggy", and

2. Sometimes they have to close it for poop issues, and

3. I don't want that many people to see my partially exposed body.

faemom said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. As long as it's purple.

Caroline D. said...

looks like a blast. I want to go.

Jimmy Franconi said...

Why have you been keeping the poor Biscuit from getting two rings? That poor girl.

merveilleuse said...

that last picture is CUTE! as are all the rest.