Sunday, June 21, 2009

nifty gifties


There it is, folks. As requested, and sadly edging out My Favorite Mutants at the top of the blog.

The haircut.

The best haircut i've had in a long, long time, courtesy of my childhood best friend, Dorothy McClure at Grow Salon in Decatur. She is a hair magician, she has cool tattoos, and she's just as much fun as she was when we were kids. although we ate significantly less Cracklin' Oat Bran, Lemonheads, and cold noodle salad when she came to visit.

Here's another shot of it.


I'm not sure if i've mentioned it on my blog before, and I refuse to go back 3 years to check, but I have always considered myself a "longhair", that is, a person born to always have long hair. Unusually long hair. Painfully long hair. Most of the time, when I go for a shorter haircut, I can't wait for my hair to be long again, and by "long", I mean to my butt. I self-identified as a longhair, and when seeing other people with long hair in public, I wished for a secret handshake of some sort.

But i've been trying to clean the cobwebs and snakes out of my head recently, and i'm finally realizing that I don't have to be ANYTHING. That very few people attached significance to my long, troublesome hair, and that no one really notices the difference between collarbone-length, shoulder-length, and bra-length, much less hip-length. It just doesn't matter. So i'm enjoying this shorter, shaggy hair, and i'm especially enjoying the light and airy feeling of realizing that while hair has great power to make me feel a certain way, it doesn't define me.

My ol' pal Dorfy gave me a gift with this haircut, and I hope to soon paint a picture of her adorable dog to return the favor, possibly in a party hat, because I really dig the thought of a chihuahua in a party hat.

The next gift I need to mention was a surprise care package from my dear friend Val, savior of my Clemson days, baker of cupcakes, watcher of Ten Things I Hate About You while knitting on the couch. She comments here as Virginia Valerie, and I miss her every day.

She sent some rad, blue, rhinestone-studded Star Wars sunglasses for the Biscuit.


I don't have to tell you what a hit *that* was.

She also sent some funky socks.


Also a big, big hit.

Note: the unruly helpmeet does not in any way endorse the combination of socks and sandals in any way. Ever. Not even for old people, or people with weird foot fungus/crusties.

Just sayin'.

In addition to some fun goodies for the grown-ups, by which I mean magazines and pens that we'll fight over for the next week, she also sent some adorable T-Rex focused shirts for t.rex.

He was thrilled.


Seriously, he NEVER looks that happy.

Well, except when he's awake.

But that's beside the point. I can't wait to see him in that blue muscle shirt next summer. He's gonna be a total beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

And why is that?


Because the boy likes his food. Up there... that's chicken and sweet potatoes with a very Jackson Pollack-esque smackerel of prunes. Mmmm. Prunes.

So thank you, Dorothy and Val. You guys made my week.

6 comments:

merveilleuse said...

pretty hairs!!!

Virginia Valerie said...

Yo Lady, glad to bring a smile to your face. And having only known you as a long haired person, imagine my surprise when I see that you actually have wavy hair! Dude! Who knew?!?!?!

You Look Beautiful!! :-)

Lots of love always. :-)

dorothy said...

sooo... i am so glad you are enjoying our hair! i love reading your blog. is it because i know you or because you are a great writer? probably a mix of both. enjoy and hope to talk to you soon! d

Cleo's Nina said...

This is one of the funniest blogs you've ever written! You made me laugh so hard!
luv
mom

faemom said...

Great hair! Love the cute kiddie pictures. You have some awesome friends.

Caroline D. said...

I love your haircut! And I think you are right that t.rex is headed in the beefcake direction.