Friday, June 12, 2009

honestly scrappy!


Thanks to the kind and talented Christine at Christine's Arts, I now have an Honest Scrap Award. Yay! And now I get to tell you 10 honest things about myself. Hmmm.

1. I worked at a haunted house in high school, even though everything about it completely terrified me. The drive, interacting with strangers, wondering alone in the woods in the dark. But it was a total blast, and I learned how to do marvelous things with makeup and liquid latex. And I made a bully wet his pants once.

2. I have never liked Goodwill ever since they stole my black-and-white Doc Martens in 1999. I wore them when skanking on stage with the Toasters during my ska years.

3. I have never smoked a cigarette or done any drugs that were not administered by a doctor. I used to wonder what certain chemicals would do for my art, but it was never worth it to try.

4. I have been craving food from La Fonda Latina and Circle Sushi for a couple of weeks and am completely unable to act on the cravings. It's driving me crazy.

5. I really like my leg-to-ankle ratio.

6. I really don't like the place where my neck and back meet. The curvature is wrong.

7. I've always felt like I would write a book one day, but i'm horrible at making up stories and strategy. When I read Time Traveler's Wife, all I could think was WAIT WHAT WHOA HOW DID YOU DO THAT WAIT WTF??

8. Although I love art, my favorite activity in the entire world is horseback riding, specifically trail riding or hunter pacing. Galloping is the closest i've ever felt to the divine. I really miss my horse and our rides alone in the woods.

9. I like my husband so much that it sometimes scares me. Just flat out like him. And love him, too. But really like him.

10. I had a brain tumor in high school.

That's what came to mind. If anyone has any other random questions, i'd be totally happy (and very excited!) to answer them. I love questions and would be happy to tell you almost anything.

Almost.

Thanks, Christine!

Oh. And i'm passing it on to Charis, Blair, and The Spotted Sparrow.

12 comments:

Caroline D. said...

WAIT WAIT WTF??

I'm not surprised that you had ska years, but brain tumor? what's that about?

And why can't you act on a Lafonda craving? I will go with you.

I like learning all these crazy things about you. It's fun.

And yes, wasn't The Time Traveler's Wife unbelievable??

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

1. I had a prolactinate pituitary tumor, which is a benign growth on the pituitary gland. My blood level of prolactin, the milk secretion hormone, was 80 times what it should have been. Had a been a pregnant teen, I would have been breaking windows with my milk of doom. It was fixed with meds.

2. I want the whole Lafonda experience-- sitting on the roof with adults drinking margaritas at dusk. I can't currently get that, as I can't leave both kids long enough to get there, enjoy myself, and get back. So I don't go. But I will one day.

3. You did see that I gave you an award, right, Carrie? http://delilahpaints.blogspot.com/2009/06/6-unimportant-pangolins.html

faemom said...

Love the intersting list! I swear you get cooler with every post. Congrads on another well deserved award!

MindfulMama said...

Okay, several questions for you.

1. Did you always see yourself as a mother, and are you the mother you thought you would be?

2. What was it about Dr. Krog that made you want to spend your life with him?

3. When do I get to meet you in person? Seriously.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Woohoo! Questions!!

1. Did you always see yourself as a mother, and are you the mother you thought you would be?

Yep. Back in college, when Dr. Krog and I had that "future" talk, I said that all I wanted to do was paint, ride horses, and stay home with my kids. I didn't want a career, I didn't want to be famous, I didn't want to live in a mansion. Thus far in our marriage, i've gotten everything I ever wanted.

And I'm a better mother than I ever thought i'd be. I was always very impatient and selfish, but the second I got pregnant, I suddenly had patience, kindness, generosity, tolerance, self-deprecation... all the traits I had lacked. I still don't like other people's kids, though, like in public.

2. What was it about Dr. Krog that made you want to spend your life with him?

He was the first guy I ever met that I thought of as my equal, intellectually, physically, and emotionally. He was challenging. I didn't hold the reins in the relationship. And he was passionate and driven. And he loved and respected my art.
He's a perfect mix of renaissance man and cave man.

3. When do I get to meet you in person? Seriously.

I told Dr. Krog that I was going to Margate next year and leaving the kids with him and my mom. And Charis has to come, too.

Thanks for asking!

Virginia Valerie said...

been busy lately, but I love your recent posts! And I love and envy your ankles/feet. You can work those strappy sandals, baby!

charissimo said...

Thanks! And amen to numbers 7 and 8. And number 3 in your response to Mindful Mama's comment (though I'm most certainly more interesting on paper than in person) And I, too, am freaked out by number 10.

carma said...

I saw someone today with fat at the backside of their neck and thought it was odd how their neck connected to their collarbone- and now I read this!

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

You totally pegged it, Carma, as much as I hate to admit it. I think it looks like a hump.

Dr. Krog disagrees.

Beth said...

Geez, I could bombard you with questions. So, I'll go with the first 3 that come to my mind...

1. Did you ride for pleasure only, or did you compete? What is your breed of choice? (I know that is technically two questions.)

2. As a fellow artsy fartsy kinda girl, I am wondering what was your major in college? I have to say I was surprised about the "no drugs" as it seemed to be an unspoken requirement at my alma mater (SCAD).

BTW: I love you preggo ladies in your Etsy store...

3. Where in the heck are you? Atlanta? South Carolina somewhere? I know it's somewhere in the dirty south... I guess I could figure this out if I tried hard enough, but I am too lazy.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

1. Did you ride for pleasure only, or did you compete? What is your breed of choice? (I know that is technically two questions.)

Purely for pleasure, although I suppose the hunter paces were a little bit competitive. I also taught children's riding lessons. I like just about any horse that can be ridden au naturel/natural horsemanship-style on the trails. I like low-maintenance, pasture-kept, barefoot horses. But I especially love anything gaited. My dream would be a spotted walking horse, maybe with a little draft thrown in for some feathers. Le sigh.

2. As a fellow artsy fartsy kinda girl, I am wondering what was your major in college?

Studio Art. I think it's the most useless degree I own. It barely gets my foot in the door for most jobs, and I didn't learn very much earning it. I don't feel like I became I "real" artist until after I got out of college and started painting for myself.

BTW: I love you preggo ladies in your Etsy store...

Thanks!

3. Where in the heck are you? Atlanta? South Carolina somewhere?

I'm in Atlanta, currently the hottest and most humid place on earth at 8:40am. I keep telling myself it'll be fall soon, and then I can breathe and sleep again.

J said...

Damned good will! Yay for Margate next year! I think it will be one festive good time. And Charis is much too self deprecating, she is too as interesting IRL as she is online!