Monday, June 29, 2009

contracrostipunctus

I warn you, i've read this whole post, and it doesn't make any sense.


But you might as well read it, anyway.

I was thinking today about contracrostipunctus. Layers of meaning. Like onions. And ogres. And the interconnectedness of all things. And emus. And synchronicity. And randomness.

I hate beer, but I like BEER WIN, so Dr. Krog and I stopped to take a picture.

I just asked him if he wanted anything from downstairs as I headed down for a weigh-in and blog-in, and he requested a margarita.

Now I wish I had a little drink umbrella. Or maybe i'll serve it up in a sippy cup. The one with cars.

That'll show 'im.

Our teenage niece just mentally gobsmacked him with the t-word via Facebook chat, and it occurred to us both that we are no longer 18, because we were slightly mortified. More amused, though.

She also likes the word "defenestration". It's one of my favorites. She is full of WIN.

So is this guy, who appears to be life's manifestation of my own inner goof.


I miss my long-lost copy of GodelEscherBach. The margins were full of scribbles, the pages were dogeared, and you could literally see the excitement in my pencil when I discovered that Hofstadter's Contracrostipunctus Acrostically Backwards Spells J.S. Bach.

Still gives me shivers.

I've never gotten lost in my head like I did in that book, layers and layers of meaning unfolding. I sometimes wonder if I miss that sort of mental challenge in my day-to-day life, if part of me is sleeping.

Probably.

But I like sleep. And I like knowing that sometimes it's best if fields lie fallow, dormant, expectant. I like to think that there is always something marvelous waiting. Dr. Krog and I may seem like whiny, misanthropic jerks, but I assure you that we are eternal optimists. And the fact that our life together gets better every year only confirms our philosophy.

Why am I rambling about layers and fields and signs and goofs and margaritas served in plastic sippy cups?

Because I can.

And because I need to remember.

And because I had a few sips of Dr. Krog's margarita, and i'm a cheap drunk.

Goodnight, folks. I've got a date with a freshly made bed, two cute guys and Season 1 of Scrubs.

See? I told you it didn't make any sense.

19 comments:

BreadBox said...

There's an original copy of GEB: An EGB in our local used bookstore up here in lil'ol'clemson.
(McClure's books on Keith St, where the pharmacy used to be).
Good condition, suitable for re-pencilling... let me know if you'd like it putting aside for you.
N.

ChicagoSane said...

Marry me, marry me, marry me.

I'm not joking.

The Eternal Golden Braid is MY FAVORITE FUCKING BOOK in the world.

I stalked Hofstadter in the early internet days when he was still at Indiana University. I'd ask him bizarre questions about Zeno's Thereom, which I still live by today ("motion is inherently impossible").

It was THE book that changed my life.

BTW, I love the first photo.

So, yes, leave your family and marry me immediately. I will even carve our initials like the original cover letters GEB:EGB.

Everything neat acrostically-backwards spells SANE.

Cleo's Nina said...

that book may be in our attic, if you kept it (along with your giant fuzzy slippers with the rabbit heads on them). and i would like to let your followers know that you found or solved a problem in that book that no one in the world had ever discovered. and you will not brag about yourself, but will be the first to criticize or make fun of yourself. and, of course, mom loves you.

BOSSY said...

Bossy likes the layers of an onion too. Except when they make her cry.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Thanks, mama!

The sad truth is that I let a prospective beau borrow my beloved book, and when I dumped him over the phone during a snowstorm in 1999... well, i'm sure the book is making someone very happy right now, even if that someone is a squirrel building a nest.

I bought a first-run replacement from a used bookstore in Clemson, actually, but it's not the same. You simply can't discover something twice; it'd be like rehiding Easter eggs. My 2nd copy, though lovely, remains pristine.

Sorry, Sane, Dr. Krog is the only one for me, although I dreamed last night that you stole my care and tricked it out to be a Winnie-the-Pooh Jeep.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

By care, I mean car. Stupid self-insinuating E key.

Anonymous said...

Must strangle pedantic comedy writer....Oh wait, this is just the internet.

Hey D, I don't give a crap about theorems, or GEB. I like your hot bod though. Ka-kow!

-Dr. Krog

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

BOOSH!

You always know what to say, Dr. Krog. Yet another reason you rock. And roll. All night long, sweet Suzy.

Athena said...

You two are the cutest freaking e-couple I have ever, er, heard. Of.

I mean, seen. Saw. Read.

Whatever.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

If you think that's cute, you should see our matching Tweety Bird tattoos.

stella said...

holy crap - that is the cutest stinkin baby!!!

hey - its 'zenproof' from mdc. so are you also 27wks then??

have you heard any additional info yet?

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Thanks, Stella! I'm not currently pregnant, but I was very happy with my VBAC with Margaret last November. MichelleP on MDC is 27 weeks and a wonderful lady. I can't believe the irrational censorship going on to placate rightfully maligned docs, and i'm glad that kudzu is letting us tell the truth about a craven, misogynistic jerk following his ego instead of his Hippocratic oath.

I know someone will post info as soon as it's available, probably thorn or doulanichole, who seem to have a lead.

Freya said...

This post gets a double R for Really Random. It makes me smile.

Renee said...

i'm a total geb nerd too. my copy was lost forever ago :(

Virginia Valerie said...

What's the "t" word? Do tell...

Robert D. said...

Yes Really, the number one (and only) child of mind (pun? heck I don't think so, perhaps a freudian slip) so enjoys that Dr. Krog (and the rest of us for that matter) actually uses facebook, so are we really that far from the cradle and so much closer to the grave? Me thinks knot, and I'm all twisted and tied up over it...
Do tell, do tell... the T-word...

Calliope said...

gotsta be TIT, right?

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Nope. Not tit.

Caroline D. said...

i'm not stupid, but i don't know what the hell you are talking about. I don't know this book, I don't know what Acrostically Backwards fucking means, and I can't think of a "T" word other than tit.

But I like hanging out with people who are smarter than me. So maybe you can tell me what all this shit is tomorrow.

I do know that that freaking picture of t.rex is so far beyond awesome.