Tuesday, June 23, 2009

be smoov



So I was enjoying a post-shred smoothie, and I thought I would share my three main smoothie recipes with you. I call that one up there "Clarice", because it's a peachy southern belle that looks like it's made of human flesh, which reminds me of Silence of the Lambs.

1. "The Clarice"

In a blender, add 8oz vanilla unsweetened almond milk, a sliced up peach or nectarine, half a banana, and a handful of frozen strawberries. Blend, and while blending, add some ice, 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder, and 2T slivered almonds. Peach-vanilla yumminess.

2. "The Swamp Thang"

In a blender, add 8oz 100% orange juice, a handful of frozen strawberries, a sliced up peach or nectarine, and whatever other fruit you have on hand, from mango to blueberries to banana. While blending, add ice, a handful of baby spinach and a stalk of kale, broken up into pieces.

2. "The Chaike"

Because it tastes like chai cake. This one is my biggest indulgence/least healthful.

In a blender, add 8oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a dash of chai mix, and some ice. While blending, add 2 scoops vanilla protein powder, 2T almond slices, some ground flaxseed, and 1/2c yogurt.

My current favorite protein powder is Aria Vanilla, which is available at Trader Joe's.



Mind you, these smoothies are not the sugar-water contrivances you'll find at Planet Smoothie. They taste of their ingredients, and the one with kale and spinach has little green orts floating gently throughout. They taste best after a rigorous workout, when you're so exhausted and sweaty that iced lake water starts to sound pretty delectable.

And you'll want to floss afterwards, too, as fruit skin and strawberry pips and spinach can add unnecessary punctuation to your smile.

Be smoov, my friends. Be smoov.

4 comments:

Virginia Valerie said...

I like your pinky sticking out. Did you learn that move in charm school?

merveilleuse said...

fab smoovie recipes!

carma said...

I want my sugar water smoothie!!

faemom said...

I just love your photoshopping.