Sunday, May 17, 2009

on a lighter note, there's gary

While I was falling asleep last night to the charming sound of my husband the Evil Overlord commanding his minions to put the smackdown on some XBOX succubi, I apparently rolled over and said,

"I have the perfect name for a bird. Gary."

"That's the stupidest name i've ever heard," he supposedly said. But I didn't know that at the time, because I was happily dreaming.

I dreamed that I had a cockatiel named Gary, and I taught him to whistle and talk. And he sounded just like Norm McDonald. And he told me that he knew of a really great apartment for rent, so we went to see it. It was lovely-- airy, bright, in this crazy Aztec temple covered with vines. There were pools and restaurants and aviaries on every floor. So I signed up and moved all my stuff in and had this awesome 4-poster bed with drapey fabric that swished in the breeze, and I said, "Thanks, Gary. You were right. This place is perfect."

And then I remembered that I had a husband, kids, and house, and I had just signed a lease and moved all my stuff, and who the heck was watching my kids all this time?

The moral of this story:

Gary is the perfect name for a bird, and
never trust a cockatiel.

6 comments:

veganf said...

I always wanted a grey parrot or cat named named Oscar. Go figure.

MindfulMama said...

Cockatiels are the most annoying pets EVER. We had two. Briefly.

Lynn said...

Mmmm, are there any more vacancies in that place? Sounds like Gary was on to something.

ChicagoSane said...

I like the name Clay for a bird.

veganf: I had a fish named Oscar. He hated the name.

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi!

Jenny Penny said...

I love that your husband answered your random sleep-talking so nonchalantly. It says something about you. Also, I had a cat my husband used to call Gary even though her real name was Sylvia, because I treated her with kid gloves the way the character Gary in Parenthood, played by a young Joaquin Phoenix, was treated by his parents. Gary is indeed a perfect name for a bird.