Wednesday, February 18, 2009

because I love you

Query of the day: What's your favorite rainy day treat?

Because mine is always cupcakes. Always.

And I am sharing this recipe with you because I love you.

Because I know that sometimes, you are having a weird, gray, oppressive day full of laundry, and you're running on 4 hours of sleep, and you're out of hazelnut creamer. And you're all wishy-washy and can't decide whether to go for a healthful walk with a friend or hole up on the couch like a beached narwhal. Because you definitely should have gone to the store yesterday, when it was balmy, and now you have to drag two sodden children around in one cart in the pouring rain or there will be no bananas tomorrow, and then you won't want to get out of bed. And also because your mother always cancels lunch with you on rainy days, which is doubly depressing, because you don't get to see your mom, and because toddlers don't understand the phrase "Don't shoot the messenger".

Poor you.

But you'll like this recipe, because it's yummy, uses basic ingredients that are already in your pantry, and only uses one piece of crockery.

I originally wrote "cookery" there, but I think I made that word up. It's where cookies roost.

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
small splash vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to large mug, mix well. Add egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in milk and oil and mix well. Add chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, mix again.

Put mug in microwave and cook 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed. Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

I would recommend having either ice cream or frosting on hand, as it was slightly underwhelming for me as-is. Then again, I have psychedelic daydreams about frosting. Then again, beggars on cold, dreary days can't be choosers, and it is a 1-person cupcake mix with no clean-up, and I snarfed it in less than 5 minutes.





5 comments:

Heather said...

I saw this in our church magazine yesterday. Seeing it on your blog, too, settles it.

I must stop buying the little betty crocker microwave cakes and start making these. Even though it requires me to start keeping eggs in the house. Eggs aren't bad, and I might even try eating them again, but only if I scramble them with cheese, and since when is that bad?

I think you just made my life better in two different ways. Thank you, awesome blogger momma who makes me smile daily. :D

Kyrissaean said...

My mom emailed this to me years ago, and it's been popping back up all over the place lately. Still need to try it. :)

My Indian name was Pressure-Per-Square-Inch said...

hrmm, apparently we are having the same day (weatherwise at least). I'm on a sugar diet and have no microwave or eggs, but one day I shall have to try this.

My favorite rainy day thing? Tea...and cookies, lots and lots of cookies, and chocolate, and chocolate cookies. I ate a lot of those in Finland because I lived here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QWmahMdeGU

also, cookery is apparently a word and it was the word I was expecting, though it doesn't mean what you needed it for.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cookery

merveilleuse said...

beached narwhal! muahahaha!

veganf said...

Oh gosh I made a vegan version of the mug cake about a month ago. My husband asked the next night how to do it and I wouldn't tell him. It's dangerous!!