Thursday, January 1, 2009

year of the b-ox choy?

Yeah, sorry, no vegetables rhyme with "ox".

I know New Year's resolutions are totes not coolio, natch. But I just <3 to be different.

Yeah, I really hate all that trendy crap, too. Irony!

Anyway, I am going to say it here. I do have a New Year's Resolution.

I am going to eat 3 servings of vegetables a day in 2009.

I freakin' hate vegetables. If it ain't french fries or my grandmother's creamed corn, I basically eat it as a filler to feel virtuous as I chew around meat. But I know how important they are-- for antioxidants, for fiber, for street cred with my kids. Last night was the first time Cleo understood that Daddy and Mommy were cramming an ice cream-slathered-hot-chocolate-chip-cookie into their hypocritical gobs at light speed, hoping she was too busy with her quesadilla and broccoli to notice. And she asked for some, and then she tried to stick her fork into the mess.

The jig is up, yo.

We have to set a better example. So i'm going to start by aiming for 3 servings of vegetables a day, where these days i'm lucky to get 1 serving. I'm going to find interesting recipes to serve to my family. I'm not going to fill myself with whole grain un-treats all day and pretend that they're good for me. Chocolate chip granola bars are still chocolate chip granola bars, even if they have whole oats and are flavored with organic brown rice syrup. The hope is that 3 servings of veggies will replace the useless fake grains, making me healthier and slimmer.

A girl can dream, right?

And, yeah, exercise and drinking more water and all that jazz. Maybe.

But the vegetables... I can do that.

2 comments:

Heather said...

If you can bring yourself to try V8's juice line or even tomato juice, that might help you get those juice servings in. It won't help with the bulk that vegetables can offer (lets face it, a good green lettuce offers more than just vitamins and fiber; it takes up lots of space in your stomach for the little bit of nutritive content it delivers, thus helping you feel full faster and keep from stuffing your gob with junk, and I say this as one who's always looking for ways to feel full off of good things instead of junk), or as much of the fiber (that's lost in the juicing process) but if you can bring yourself to drink carrot juice (and if you juice it yourself, it's even better, but stick with carrots grown in California soil-the rest are bitter for some reason) or vegetable juice that are combined and thus sweetened with fruit juices, that's a way to get in the nutritional power of vegetables without having to suffer through actually eating them. But stay away from "Light" juices, I think... 100% juices haven't been artificially sweetened, and the "Light" or "Diet" ones have, and I suspect there's less nutritional value in those. Or at least, that's what I tell myself when I grab the 100% juice off the shelf. (And for what it's worth, I can't drink sodas at ALL, so I'm drinking juices ALL THE TIME.)

Angela said...

Thats hilarious, two+ years is pretty good, with out her noticing!

Good luck eating better in the new year!