Wednesday, January 14, 2009

virtual little worlds

Welcome to my virtual art show! Please help yourself to virtual taco dip, virtual punch, and some absolutely delicious virtual pigs in blankets. Because i'm a good southern girl, and no social function is complete without teeny little weinies wrapped in crescent rolls. Seriously, it was in our wedding contract.

I've seen the pics, and I look like a big ol' postpartum house, so i'm just going to show you the artwork. Because that's what art exhibits are about. I'll take some pictures in 6 months and 'shop myself back into the gallery scenes. How 'bout that?

Here we go...

First of all, here is the original "little worlds", the collection of studies that started the whole thing. At the bottom is "6 weeks", which is the only post-partum work. Yuck. I much prefer that big, ripe belly!

Don't forget that every piece in this show has a tumprint on it-- where I painted my belly and slapped it onto the wood or canvas. That's what all the scribbly business in the middle is.

***

Next, we have "4 dreams", which features two lovely internet friends, Kim and Sybil, as well as 2 versions of me. I ain't telling which is which.



***

And here we have the last piece painted for the show, which also happens to be my and Dr. Crog's favorite: "1 imperfect egg". It's hangin' next to one of the "3 pears", which were hung separately, although they were painted as a triptych. It's cool, though. They're not upset.


***

This series is called "6 pages" and is a reworking of a series I wanted to do in homage to my friend and mentor, Jan Gibbons, who passed away from cancer last year. I began the pieces, and after leaving them untouched for a year, I realized that there is no way I could paint something so sad. She was an upbeat, no-nonsense person who never admitted weakness or wanted pity, so i'm sure she'd be happy to know that the pieces were eventually used for something beautiful and life-affirming. And it would amuse her that they involve brassieres.


There are several more pieces, but there's something invisible in my eye, and I want to go drape myself with wet washcloths until I stop squinting like a pirate. The show is up at The Art Place - Mt. View in Marietta until January 23, so you can always go check it out in living, preggo color.

Thanks so much for coming to the virtual exhibit. Please sign the virtual Guest Book on your way out. Oh, and everything is for sale, so if you should decide to buy something, please know that your purchase will help fund rad new baby carriers, Etsy purchases, and possibly eye surgery, if I can't stop squinting.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awesome Delilah! Just like being there but not, lol. Thanks for posting pics for us.
jen (2inA)

Heather said...

I so wish I could come and see it in person, in living color!! I'm sure the opening was awesome, and post-partum or not, I'm sure you're lovely. So there.

merveilleuse said...

i love your paintings! very beautiful. perhaps they will show up on etsy? ;-)

Elaine said...

You should hit up Isis and see if they would be interested for their hallways or rooms... great work.

Melissa aka Equidae said...

lovely :) thanks for sharing my hubby is an artist to you can view his page on artandconservation.net

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Congrats on your exhibit! Real original stuff! Also Happy SITS day!

Jeannie Finelli, RN said...

Thank you for posting your fascinating exhibit!