Wednesday, March 12, 2008

the saddest tale



We had to put our Puddy down today. He couldn't keep his food or pills down, and what came out the back of him reminded me a lot of Celine Dion's music. Feeling sick is one thing, but if you can't enjoy your food, what's the point in living? We thought we'd have at least a couple weeks with him, but it was clear that he was suffering and going downhill fast, so we wanted to give him a peaceful ending while he could still see how much we adored him.


It's ironic and cruel how it cost 10 times as much to end his suffering as it did to adopt him 7 years ago. I held him and loved him until he was gone, and we buried him in the backyard, our whole family together and covered in Georgia red clay on a beautiful spring day.

Puddy was a good cat. He came when we called him, he always purred when we touched him, he loved Cleo, he loved to snuggle, he never had hairballs or hurt anyone. He was funny and fat and had a soft pink belly. He liked to lay in the sun in my studio while I painted, and he liked to nap with Cleo and Craig. He loved to gnaw on my glasses and drink water from the sink.

Goodbye, Puddin'. You were the best and weirdest cat i've ever known and the best $15 i've ever spent.

6 comments:

Emile said...

So sorry, D. :(

Jillian, Ryan and Benjamin said...

I'm so, so sorry...

stinestrain said...

I'm so sorry Delilah :( :( :( :(

Frogs Mom said...

Oh I'm so sorry to read this. Poor Puddin', Poor Mama, Poor Mr. D, Poor Cleo

Valerie said...

This is so sad. I am sorry. He was a great cat.

trublue said...

Oh, I don't even know Puddy and I'm sad. It's so hard to loose pets - they're part of the family. Sorry to hear about your loss. Something that I did when my dog died that helped, was to take her water dish and plant flowers in it. It made me feel better to have something in her honor that would live on. And it makes me happy to think of her everytime I see it.